Potterton puma 80e pressure in CH drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

the Pressure in CH slowly drops over a period of time. Mainly when the CH is on, it does not drop that much in summer May be 1 or 2 top up). When on, the pressure goes up to around 1.8 and drop back to 1.1 but it will slowly goes down. When it was reaching 0.8 I was refilling it to 1.1 .
Since we've got a contract with BG I decided to call them.
An BG eng came to look at the problem, but now it is worse. As soon as the CH turns off the pressure drops to 0.4 the next day (after going off with timer) , but it still goes on again (I thought that there was a low presssure safety) and it goes up to 2. He only spend 15-20 minutes. He said that there was water in the EV, but in 20' I doubt that he has changed anything.

Sponsored Links
Clearly you have a leak. You say that called in BG, so why aren't they fixing it?

I am not saying there is no leak, but why only in winter since the system is pressurised all year long. When the first engineer came, I think he only checked if there was pressure in the EV, then cleaned the pressure relief valve. He left without bleeding the rads. The problem went for the worse, in 1 day the pressure dropped from 1.1 to 0.4 and going up to 2.0 whent the CH was on. Rang BG again, another engineer came, he checked the EV, he said it was ok, he replaced the valve, and he said that another cause could be the flexi-pipe. He said that it could be a leak. Again before if I had a 'leak' it was a small one, now it is a big one. I am waiting now for a couple of day to wait and see.

Sponsored Links
for the first one I cannot tell you exactly since I was working and only my wife was at home. The second Engineer told my wife that there was air pressure in it. My wife saw him with a look a like foot pump. I'll have a look this weekend because now the pressure drop to 0.4
after 1 day. Could be air since they change a valve. Next time I'll think twice before calling them again. If you ask me now if the contract is worth the money, the answer is 'no comment'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back