Potterton Puma not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently moved into a house with a Potterton Puma 80 combi boiler. Since we moved in it has never been able to provide a consistent flow of hot water to the bath and shower (one floor up from the boiler), and recently it started making a loud humming noise whenever you ran hot water or the radiators were on.

Just recently it has stopped firing up at all, when you try and draw hot water, all you can see through the window is the little pilot light burning. The boiler makes a tiny bit of noise which gets a little louder as you keep on running the hot tap, the pressure of the water from the hot tap also falls to about half. The red light on the circuit board comes on when you run the tap, but turns off when you shut it off.

Guessing that it was probably the pump that had failed, I tried to unlock it by unscrewing the bolt in the middle and relocating it, but couldn't really find a point at which it "clicked". I did notice, however, that a lot of very black water dripped out of the hole when I unscrewed it (although the water that came out when I tried bleeding a radiator was very clean!). I would try desludging, draining and refilling the system, or even cleaning the pump, but the only instructions I have are the rather useless little booklet that fits inside the front cover and tells you little more than how to set the timer and relight the pilot!

Anyway, I was considering replacing the system with a condenser boiler eventually anyway, so don't want to waste any money getting a plumber out to fix what I'm just about to replace. So is there anything I can do so I can keep clean and warm whilst I sort out a replacement?

Or are condenser boilers as bad as the naysayers would have us believe and should I therefore get a plumber in and hope that my boiler lasts a few more years? I try to use as little central heating and hot water as possible, and I hear that condensers are only really more efficient if you use them "full pelt", is this really the case?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

EDITED - For clarity

Sponsored Links
Also, when you switch the Standby/On switch to on and switch the Central Heating to constant, the leftmost relay switch on the PCB (RL2) switches, and when you try and draw hot water, the leftmost relay switch on the only relay plug which is horizontal (I couldn't find a label for it) switches.

I hope this is of use!

hi puma boilers give alot of trouble when they get old ,best replacing it.unfortunately u have no choice but to fit a condensing blr,buy a good one eg worcester :(

Hi

I had just fixed my Puma 80, it had also failed pump. see my post discussion for some usefull info.

I also would like to find out if Puma 80 can last for more than 8 years as I have one. My one has worked fine, it had board changed when nearly new within waranty, and fan went 3 years ago.

I suggest you repair the pump it's not to complicated, but make sure it's the pump. if you go to website you can download all detail and instructions you need and fault finding diagram. see my previous post for more data. Do not take the pump out, only take the head bit (motor), remove 4 screws, and make sure to replace rubber seal. Once you change pump, purge the air out of boiler and pump before turning on. Puma 80 has air release valve under boiler with small srewtoop and drain cock, also undo the screw on the pump until water comes out.

Sponsored Links
radio_engineer said:
I suggest you repair the pump it's not to complicated, but make sure it's the pump. if you go to website you can download all detail and instructions you need and fault finding diagram.

I could find instruction manuals for pretty much every other Potterton model, but not the Puma! Does anyone have a direct link?

Thanks for your advice!

I've just looked on the Parts Arena site and it has the Puma manual.

Which web site did you look on?

"""Puma 80 has air release valve under boiler with small srewtoop and drain cock, also undo the screw on the pump until water comes out"""

The Potty Puma has a drain cock at the bottom but has an auto air release valve at the top left!

I dont see how any normal person is going to "repair" a boiler pump. ( Apart from replacing the 2.8 uF capacitor ). Most pump failures are bearings or windings.

Better to stick to RF engineering!

Tony

He's not really talking about repairing the pump, just leaving the housing in place and changing the body.

What's all this guff about the pump about? A Puma doesn't have a primary flow switch so lights up even with a dead pump.

Does this boiler work on CH?

Follow the fault finding guide on the Instructons, as best you can, and come back.

http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/

Softus said:
I've just looked on the Parts Arena site and it has the Puma manual.

Which web site did you look on?

Thanks, I was looking on the Potterton site itself.

Agile said:
"
I dont see how any normal person is going to "repair" a boiler pump.

Tony

Good point, but I was really only planning on flushing it clean to see if it would give it a bit more life. From what ChrisR is saying I'm guessing it may be the fan (the other suspect device in there considering the noises it was making before it died), but I'm at work now so can't go through the fault finding process.

Looks like I might be able to get a replacement sooner rather than later anyway, so I may just end up sticking to my kettle and fan heater!

HI,

I should have used word replace rather than repare for pump, sorry if this created confusion.

You should be able to hear fan running slow once the boiler is on, if you follow fault finding diagram this should help. I have same problem at the moment but to replace fan is apparently CORGI job so you can't do it yourself. It looks simple job to do but it's not worth breaking law.

On another point could anyone here suggest what should be expected service life of Puma 80, I had another problem with my boiler. As explained I replaced water pump couple of weeks ago and it was all fine. Today my Puma boiler simply stopped working. I have again followed the guide and it appears to me that my fan failed. I had fan replaced in 2003 by local firm here in Hendon.

Perhaps I should be looking to replace the boiler rather than fixing it as this was secong failure this month.?

radio_engineer said:
On another point could anyone here suggest what should be expected service life of Puma 80, I had another problem with my boiler. As explained I replaced water pump couple of weeks ago and it was all fine. Today my Puma boiler simply stopped working. I have again followed the guide and it appears to me that my fan failed. I had fan replaced in 2003 by local firm here in Hendon.

Perhaps I should be looking to replace the boiler rather than fixing it as this was secong failure this month.?
Perhaps you should be starting a fresh topic instead of hijacking this one?

Mr Agile

Would you open the drain cock at the bottom of a Puma?

Would it ever close again?

ACOperson said:
Would you open the drain cock at the bottom of a Puma?
If you wanted to drain out the water, then, surely you would.

ACOperson said:
Would it ever close again?
If you turned it in the right direction, then it would. However, it would be prudent to examine the washer before doing so, and replace it if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back