Potterton Suprima 30- 80 circulation pump running constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps

This seems like the place to be for any DIY problems. Hope you can help.

I have the above boiler in a house which is now 5 years old.

I have noticed that the circulation pump wont shut down even when there are no demands on the heating or the hot water. When I say continuosly I mean day and niight.

The only way the punp can be stopped is to shut down the boiler altogether.

I have also noticed a bit of Kettling.

Any ideas please + if not a DIY job then can anyone in the Sittingbourne area recommend a good heating engineer please.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
First thing to do is check the wiring. The pump should get power from the boiler, but might not .

Thanks for that Chris.

I belive that the pump receives it's power from the boiler.

I have nosed around the neighbours system which is identical. His pump only seems to run when there is a demand.

Cheers mate

yes. it SHOULD get it's power from the PCB

If so, the pump relay could have welded itself open

The pump should run on demand and for 20 mins after it ceases

Sponsored Links
The kettling is normally due to scale in the heat exchanger but sometimes the burner pressure is set too high - the gas valve adjustment is VERY sensitive on the Suprima. I've seen Suprima's burning 50% over the rated input.

If you open the door on the right you'll see that the panel behind it is held by just one screw. If you remove that, and pull the door forwards sliding the metalwork off, you'll see the connection block.
Underneath it, the leftmost 3 terminals have a label saying pump, where you should have wires connected.
If all ok there , new pcb needed :(

CHeck that the system isn't "pumping over" (ie water coming out of the vent pipe over the header tank in the loft). If not, then , short of a full chemical/power flush, you could add some "Boiler descaler" (there's a type you don't have to flush out), and then maybe "Boiler silencer".

And "Inhibitor" would be a Good Thing.

ChrisR

I have taken the cover off. There are three wires going to the connector block that you describe. The block is labelled "pump".

The three wires go into the top of the block but there are none connected to the bottom of the block, ie all three terminate in the block.

What should be happening here ?

Cheers m8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back