Potterton Suprima 30, dead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got home this morning from my night shift to find the house freezing cold.

The thermostat on the wall is showing its flame symbol (indicating it knows it's cold and is trying to kickstart the boiler) but the boiler is not on.

The single status light is off and there is no sign or sound of activity.

I changed the fuse (5 amp) on the wall-mounted fused outlet but this has made no difference.

I pressed the reset button for 5 secs and then for 15 secs but still no sign of life.

The sticker on the boiler talks about how the indicator light can indicate different problems depending on whether its flashing or solid, etc. but as I've mention above the light is off

The boiler supplies hot water to a Boilermate II. This still seems to be warm and there is still hot water in the taps but the boiler does not fire despite leaving the tap running.

• Can anyone advise on the possible cause of the boiler's symptoms? I have seen from the search that the PCB is a common problem with this boiler.
  • Could this be the cause of the symptoms?[*]
  • Could the Boilermate II somehow be preventing the boiler from operating? It does have PCB problems of its own leading to frequent buzzing from the relay
  • How much is a new PCB likely to cost to purchase new and be fitted (I'm in SE London)?
  • As a last resort, what reliable boilers could be a straight swap for a Potterton Suprima 30
Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have the latest pcb version. they don't really switch off completely like that anyway.

you really need to test for power at the boiler and boilermate using a multimeter. my first guess is you have a short somewhere.

from the mention of a flame symbol on your thermostat it sounds like you have a wireless stat possibly. if so. when turning up or down, check that you hear a 'click' from your reciever. ive had quite a few of these fail lately.

but coupled with your possesion of a suprima and a boilermate, it may be worth putting beans on toast on your menu for the next few weeks :p

Put the details into Ebay and see if you can find the right PCB. It's a non-gas part so you could have a go at changing it yourself.

Sponsored Links
I didn't say it would. If he decided that WAS the problem then he could do that.

sounds like you have the latest pcb version. they don't really switch off completely like that anyway.

you really need to test for power at the boiler and boilermate using a multimeter. my first guess is you have a short somewhere.
Looks like you might have been right about the short.

I've had a heating engineer over who replaced the fuse which instantly blew. He then disconnected the pumps on the Boilermate II from the power and tested them and the boiler by plugging them each into the mains using a piece of flex with a plug on the end.

Turns out the boiler is fine but one of the pumps is dead. I've asked him to replace both since the other one is just as old. He needs to get new valves though as he says they tend to leak once loosened.

Since he needs to drain the system to fit the pumps I've also asked him to do a chemical clean and add inhibitor to the system.

Downside is I'll be without heating and hot-water for at least a week before this can all be done.

I've also ordered a delay-timer PCB for the Boilermate II from eBay as he fitted the pump-drive PCB I had ordered but the delay-timer one is buzzing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back