Potterton Suprima 30L - Screeching type noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, happy new year to all.

Boiler was fitted new in Feb 2002, had the PCB replaced with a reconditioned one in 2010 after experiencing the infamous problems as well documented on here. Still is working fine other than a screeching noise when starting from cold. It does not sound like a water type noise i.e. knocking or hissing and it is definitely coming from inside the boiler housing and not from the water pump which is located nearby.

Having looked at the installation and service instructions I would hazard a guess it's the fan. It sounds like a moving surfaces scraping along a fixed surface or the noise a damaged bearing would make.

Anyone experienced something the same or similar and if so what was the solution and roughly how much did it cost to remedy?

Thank you kind sirs/madams in anticipation of your help.

Sponsored Links
It is s part inside the combustion chamber that needs replacing. Very easy job for a gas engineer. £150 ish is for the part then labour. Get the boiler serviced at the same time.

We would charge an hour's labour but give the boiler a decent once over at the same time.

First of all, happy new year to all.

Boiler was fitted new in Feb 2002, had the PCB replaced with a reconditioned one in 2010

Having looked at the installation and service instructions I would hazard a guess it's the fan. It sounds like a moving surfaces scraping along a fixed surface or the noise a damaged bearing would make.

Anyone experienced something the same or similar and if so what was the solution and roughly how much did it cost to remedy?

Thank you kind sirs/madams in anticipation of your help.
If a spring has broken in the fan, the impeller can scrape against the can and cause this. .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back