Potterton Suprima 60l again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My boiler is playing up. During the day it runs OK but I think I have a sticking relay in the control unit which can usually be overcome by tapping the unit or cycling the hot water round the timing options. This may be related to the problem but I'm not sure.

This morning I thought I'd try and check out the timer before it had started up for the day.
The timer had switched the CH on but the thermostat wasn't demanding.
I turned up the roomstat and the boiler started to switch on/off rapidly slightly faster than once per second.
There was a relay clicking on/off in the boiler at the same time and the leds flashed at the same rate.
I checked to see if there was air trapped (not having run overnight) by releasing the air bleed just above the return pipe, no-air.
I turned the boiler thermostat down so it clicked off and the water pump was running and the flashing stopped.
When I turned it back up all was OK for a few seconds but then the fault reappeared.
I turned it back up and after a few seconds the cycling started again.
I switched the system off/on a few times but the fault remained.

So I thought do I switch the boiler off and have not heat/water or just leaving it on. I decided to leave it on and look on the net for any diagnostics.

I found plenty relating to this boiler but none specific to this fault.

It has the push button reset so it has possible had the controller replaced.

Since doing all this the boiler has stated up and is running OK. This may be happening every day because it worked eventually and it doesn't make a noise round the house.

Does anyone have any clues/ideas as to what to look for.

On a legal point: Am I allowed to change the PCB myself. I am an experienced electronics engineer and have had two electrical installations passed buy the local building control so I am fairly competent but not qualified in electrical installations. I've but I'm not sure if changing the controller is working on the controller. To me repairing it would be working on it but not changing it.

Many thanks Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back