Potterton Suprima 60L, Central heating not working, water is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with the central heating not coming on when it should, it does come on eventually, but it can be hours on some days. The hot water is working fine, but when the timer kicks in for the central heating nothing happens, the read light just stays on. I have tried another timer, but it makes no difference.

The boiler is about 5 years old and nothing has been moved or changed, does anyone know what the fault could be?

Tony

Sponsored Links
have you checked wall stat, mot valve ?

what valve have you got 3 port or 2 x 2 ports.

The heating has finally come on. If i turn the thermostat down it does shut the heating off and turn it up and it comes back on all as normal, but when i tried this earlier the boiler would not come on at all. The actuator in the airing cupboard appears to working normally as well as i removed it earlier and turned the valve myself and still the heating would not come on.

Sorry not sure about the valves as I don't know much about boilers etc.

Sponsored Links
Yes its working at the moment, once if finally comes on it usually stays on, but tomorrow it will be the same again, today the heating was set to come on at 9am, but it didn't come on until 12.

if your hw fine then poss a faulty wall stat or sticky valve.
can only really check it in its failed state

The thermostat is activating the actuator so maybe it is the valve sticking, I assume you do mean the valve beneath the actuator?

Tony

The thermostat is activating the actuator so maybe it is the valve sticking, I assume you do mean the valve beneath the actuator?

Tony
Yes he is talking about the brass valve that the actuator is sat upon. If you had a Honeywell V4073A for example you could isolate the valves around it (if your system has them) undo the plate that marries the head to the body and see if there is a blockage or more likely a swollen ball ( and you don't want one of them lol). Again if you were scared of cross threading the unions you could swop just the head plate. But be careful to check the power to the valve is off and test to make sure by using an electrical tester. Playing with water and electrics is not advisable if you are unsure what you are doing.

I switched the heating off this afternoon and later it would not come back on, so while it was playing up I removed the actuator and manually opened the valve and the heating came on. I then turned the thermostat up and down and the actuator was opening and closing and the heating turning on and off even tho it was not attached to the valve, which confused me! I then reattached the actuator and the heating would not turn off, so I removed it again and once again checked the actuator was working, but this time turning the thermostat up and down did not move the actuator so it looks as this is only working intermittently and seems to be at fault.

I spoke too soon, after running a bath, I thought I would switch the hot water on to make sure it is ok, but I'm having the same problem, the boiler wont start up, just the red light, the heating won't come on either even if I manually switch the valve on. I have never noticed the hot water not working before but I guess it might also have been coming on later than it should. I'm back to square one and fed up with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back