Potterton Suprima 80 Pipes Boiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having problems with my Potterton Suprima 80, it is 6 yors old and 2 years ago I replaced the original PCB for a new siemens PCB including wiring, all has been fine till about a month ago.
All the lights are OK as per manual.
The boiler fires and runs but after a while it sounds like the flow pipe is boiling and the radiators are very hot regardless of where the control panel temperature switch is.
I have replaced the Thermister sensor thinking the temp couldn't be read by the PCB... no change.
I have also put some new heat sink paste in the Thermister housing.... no change.
I have replaced the PCB again (not wiring).... no change.

Has anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Well you've been inside the box so you should be a Gas Safe Registered person. Are you?

If not, you're in the territory where we can't really advise. You'd need to check amongst other things the flue gas analysis and gas pressures.

It sounds like you've been just changing parts in the hope of getting lucky.
It's possible your pump's going slow, so you might as well change that too??

Sponsored Links
try another pcb. that might help. if not. try some more thermistors.

very common problem with this boiler................

the tickling stick is not entering the giggle valve at the required depth....

try another pcb, that might help

or some more Thermisters

wrong glasgowgas. this model didn't have a giggle valve. they were phased out before this model. :rolleyes:

Come on people... industry pet names are not helpful on a DIY forum.

It is almost certainly the CMRV I mentioned earlier, although some of the 120's used a HAL effect feedback circuit on the PCB's.

Not sure if this got implemented into the later 80's. I doubt it though as Potterton would struggle to fit a light bulb let alone do anything electrically intelligent.

OP, let us know how you get on. Potterton have their ear to the forum grindstone, so you may get some handy feedback.

dan the Hal feedback was never issued to these unit's but if i rember right the PITA was around these came about.

Did they use that on the Suprima too?

Christ... you'd think they'd have learnt their lesson from the Puma. There's another thread on here where the poor sod got told by Potterton themselves told him the problem with his heating was the Hot water wasn't turning his boiler on :eek:

I mean really... you could make it up!!!!! Oh wait..... They did...

come on lads. now shouldn't the advice given be restricted to the CC. these are components that can effect the ratio. and a bit dangerous in the wrong hands. shame on you

Normally I would agree, but as the OP has already diagnosed the thermistors, PCB, and thermal paste it is reasonable to assume he is not a total nincompoop.

As long as he doesn't get manometers or gas hydro-osciloscopes involved it shouldn't affect the site owners too much.

I am sure Mod 10 will chip in if he thinks any advise here is OTT or beyond DIY scope?

did i not read on another post that cc meant course cowboys?

So does that mean if i go for the same course i can join you guys and be able to give the advice you guys hand out?

Some of you really do know your stuff!

true dan i suppose the use of a gas hydro-osciloscope. does not matter in the OPs case. as it does sound like the thermo valve could be what is causing the pcb failure. it's hard to say without an onsite evaluation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back