Suprima 60 - Banging.....No control

B.O.B DOLE said:
stubbyrama said:
Right. I have a Potterton Suprima 60...Lucky me. On fire up its seems to run fine but it just keeps on running untill the water in the system boils and comes out the over flow. Obviously loads of banging as well as the air in the system expands. I have replaced the thermister and it worked for about a week. But now when ever it is switched on, either hot water or heating it just runs away.

Another PCB?........or something else???
have you checked the overheat stat ,pump,f & e tank

No the overheat stat has not been checked ( is it easy to do?). The Temp sensor (thirmistor) has been changed......I just slid it in.

But surly if the temp sensor was working then it would control the temp ot the boiler and it would fire up and stop when the selected temp was reached and if the overheat thermostat wasnt working then it would just lose it protection?.........please advise.

The pump is running although not sure if it is supposed to drip continuousl from the middle when the cap is removed.

and what is an F & E tank?

Sponsored Links
gazthepottertonengineer said:
make sure you have put heat sink on thermistor and that it hasnt bent as you have put it in :oops: ooh ur

Well I did check to see if it had done in nice and smothly.......it did bend a little when it went in the first time cos I didnt realise how small the appeture was that it was going into. But as I said...it is in there now and is there a way of checking it is working correcty....

what is this heatsink for then?..........do you cover the thermister with it to void the area of air when it is in there?.........will is give me the symptoms I am experiancing if it is not on there?

to check to overheat stat disconnect wires to it turn power off
set multimeter on ohm,s scale check for conti with boiler cold if no conti its nacred
the f & e tank is in the attic check there is water in it
yes the pump is supposed to leak

you may get the overheat stat reading at conti but this still does not rule out the stat it may not be opening when it gats to temp

just remebered a similiar prob there could be an air lock in the heat exchanger there is a nut on the heat ex try undoing slighty see if water comes out

B.O.B DOLE said:
set multimeter on ohm,s scale check for conti with boiler cold if no conti its nacred

you may get the overheat stat reading at conti but this still does not rule out the stat it may not be opening when it gats to temp

just remebered a similiar prob there could be an air lock in the heat exchanger there is a nut on the heat ex try undoing slighty see if water comes out

OK I will get to do that today...will let you know outcome tonight....

Cheers Bud.

Sponsored Links
stubbyrama said:
B.O.B DOLE said:

OK I will get to do that today...will let you know outcome tonight....

Cheers Bud.

Well I replaced the PCB...and all was working fine till about two days ago...see new post.....Boiler bangin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back