Potterton suprima boiler

I have never come across a stuck one Iron how many have you seen

Replaced a few of these switches . i've also see quite a few bypassed , the early suprimas were'nt fitted with flow switch , manufacture decided to fit these due to call out rate when under guarantee (dry fire) , they were not considered a safety aspect , suprima in my own house is the early type & has no switch ................i was explaining to the OP how to diagnose if water flow switch is stuck , which is likely if boiler has been sitting for 3 years , whether it's been sitting full of water i don't know.

Why would i think you were being funny? no problem.

Sponsored Links

Replaced a few of these switches . i've also see quite a few bypassed , the early suprimas were'nt fitted with flow switch , manufacture decided to fit these due to call out rate when under guarantee (dry fire) , they were not considered a safety aspect , suprima in my own house is the early type & has no switch ................i was explaining to the OP how to diagnose if water flow switch is stuck , which is likely if boiler has been sitting for 3 years , whether it's been sitting full of water i don't know.

I just think some times when you timer a disagreement it looks confrontational.

Now the likes of chrisr will put me right but my understanding is that if a maker puts a control on a boiler that will prevent it from firing up if its condition has not be met is a safety feature and must not be bypassed.

And the stixckness makes sense now you explain it, it has been sitting there doing nowt for a while

:)

my understanding is that if a maker puts a control on a boiler that will prevent it from firing up if its condition has not be met is a safety feature and must not be bypassed.

:)

Yes , i agree 100% , but.................these boilers use cast iron low water content heat exchangers , the safety factor being boiler thermostat along with overheat stat , many of these type boilers out there that don't use water flow switches for dry fire.............. i'm saying to bypass switch for fault finding only.

I've come across a lot of these boilers in my time , i suppose a few replacement switches is'nt to bad , i've seen a lot more bypassed though..................go service one of these & try tell the customer they need a replacement flow switch as the one on the boiler has been bypassed , very difficult if the boiler has been working fine for the customer to have any faith in you. ;) .............rip off plumber comes to mind , can't win sometimes. :p

Sponsored Links
Well ive now checked the air pressure switch and am getting continuity while under pressure test, Is the flow switch a normally closed or normally open contact? and it is a siemens pcb installed to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back