Potterton Suprima HE 70 lockout puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a curious issue which I have been scratching my head over. Been getting repeated lockouts - orange light flashing, after 4 times solid orange light. Step one of the manual states check condensate trap, which I did and some debris came out, fitted back and the boiler happily went about it's business. 24 hours later, same lockout, emptied condensate trap, a little more debris, when back to normal operation. I've now repeated this process over 4 times, no more debris in the water trap, just runs clear, no blockage in waste pipe, can run water through it.

What I really can't understand is how the air pressure switch, which is the source of the shutdown, can be affected by the condensate level? I need some education. I assume the that the air pressure switch must be some diaphragm that reacts to the low pressure generated by the fan blades blowing air through the fan hood. This air enters the secondary heat exchanger which passes the air out through the vent after removing some of the suspended water particles held in the steam generated by the combustion process. I can't understand how a cup full of condensate water can shut down the system.

Could it be a faulty air pressure switch? How do they fail? Do they just completely fail or do they just start getting temperamental? Also how is it that emptying the condensate trap gives me another 24 hours of boiler operation?

Kind thanks in advance of any replies.

Sponsored Links
Oh please, just call in a professional. You won't get any advice on the open forum. Read the rules. I'd love to help but I'm not permitted to even suggest what might be your boiler fault. By the way, your understanding of how your boiler components relate to each other is way off.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not professing to any understanding nor asking for a fix, just education. The professionals have suggested a £500 list of parts to be replaced and to be honest I doubt even they know what the problem is, just taking an atom bomb approach to squashing an ant. All I want to know is how is it that first point recommended by Potterton is to check the condensate trap for blockages? There is no sensor there, the air pressure switch is what is shutting down the show. How is that? If I am not able to seek help to challenge the professionals then what is the point of having a plumbing and central heating section on this forum?

Plumbing and heating advice yes...gas/combustion/boiler related issues then no....
I'm still laughing regarding your opening post..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I was always of the opinion that the condense trap conversed with the fan to enable the APS to operate...or is it that the APS converses with the gas valve in order for the condense trap to inform the control board to shut down?????...something along those lines anyway...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Glad to be of some entertainment value :D
I appreciate thoughts on this, I can't see how the condensate trap or for that matter the secondary heat exchanger could converse, there are no sensors etc.. well none that I can see. But you are quite right that there is a measurable effect, it stands to reason that it is an air pressure effect. Might have to google how secondary heat exchangers work.

If I am not able to seek help to challenge the professionals then what is the point of having a plumbing and central heating section on this forum?

Do you really think it is a good idea to ask pros here on how to challenge pros?

It is quite clear that all you want is advice on a DIY repair! You have already opened up you boiler to engage in this attempt.

Your quote of £500 of spare parts hardly rings true.

You must be aware that Potterton, and others, will do a fixed price repair for about £300.

So who has told you £500 ?

Tony

Please stop playing around with something that it is blatantly obvious you have absolutely no understanding of , what you are doing is very dangerous, most people worry about gas explosions when doing DIY work where in reality CO incidents are far more common and can be lethal, stop messing around with a room sealed appliance

Hi Tony, thank you for your reply. Firstly, I will should explain that checking the condensate trap does not necessitate opening up the boiler, I observed this operation when the professional turned up and then subsequently charged me £109 + VAT for the pleasure. Please don't get me started on why the pros quote prices excluding VAT to normal non-vat registered people, suffice to say real price £130.80 cost to me. Secondly as much as I would like to name and shame who quoted me I would rather not on a public forum. I will however investigate the £300 fix from Potterton, I wasn't aware of that which makes posting on here a worthwhile action to gain such knowledge.

I realise this is a DIY forum but what I am looking for UIY Understand It Yourself.

Sorry there was a second point, why would I not be able to challenge a pro? If someone tries charging £500 knowing that there is a £300 fix from the manufacturer then surely that raises integrity (or lack of) issues and quite rightly they should be challenged.

I take it that the £500 quote was from a call out company, the price of £109 plus vat rings a bell.

Andy

Yup, call out company.

Just spoken to Potterton and it's £395 or £30.75 per month (guess maths wasn't their strong point). I'm happier with this idea so thanks for the info. I would still like to know how this stuff works though, lets see if a Potterton engineer can explain it to me.

If you call a company like Pimlico Plumbers who charge about £55 plus vat per half hour then you should expect they will tell you about THEIR charges!

Not normally Potterton's or mine!

But one fellow from Pimlico came out, glanced at the boiler and told him he needed Tony ( me ).

I apologised to him that he had to pay about £100 just to get my number, which I give out free.

But he replied that he was thankful to them because now that I had repaired the boiler he could get tenants in and stop losing rent of £400 per week!

Trading standards say that any firm dealing with retail customers should quote vat inclusive prices verbally and inclusive or show the addition of vat on written quotes.

Tony

:LOL: STOP MESSING WITH THAT BOILER !! before you do damage that will cost you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back