Potterton Suprima System - Cycling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK – Here goes another Potterton System story for you to ponder.

As best I understand it, I have a Potterton Suprima 100 Boiler connected to a GRUNDFOS 15/60 pump a Honeywell 3 way actuator valve, Sunvac 2 way Hot Water actuator valve and a MegaFlow system.

Been having problems off and on for ages, last winter very often the rads would come on and the system would run at full tilt until the system was shut down.

This winter I noticed a similar problem, but then had problems getting a consistent Hot water supply. Having done a bit of research I inspected the 2 valve actuators, and felt that buzzing whilst in operation and slight charing internally warranted the few quid required to replace both the actuator heads (not the valves).

Having made the replacement I can now see and understand the behavior in calls for heat from the HW system and CH system, however my problems are not solved.

In normal operational mode the system sends a request for heat to the boiler (slow green flashing light) ignites the boiler (fast green flashing light) and runs for approximately 1 minute, and then returns to slow green flashing light for a minute or so and repeats this cycle every couple of minutes. Meanings rads are barely warm and more than a sink full of hot water and your stuffed.

Depending on how the control panel is set (i.e. HW / CH / HW+CH) feeling the pipes @ the 3 way valve when the boiler is running suggests this is now operating correctly.

Anecdotally - and I am testing this theory again today, If I switch the system of for some length of time (i.e. whilst I am out at work for the day – half hour did not work) the system works OK for several days again.

Theories I have had and would like some guidance on probability and how best to test from you clever bunch....

a) Yet another Potterton Suprima PCB issue?
b) Pump on its way out and not shifting heat away from the boiler fast enough?
c) Thermostat on the boiler faulty?
d) Sludge in the system causing poor circulation ?

Any thought or theories I may have missed gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
It would seem to be a lack of flow causing cycling. pump or sludge or both.

You also seem to describe as an aside the heating jamming on but dont say if this continues!

Tony

You also seem to describe as an aside the heating jamming on but dont say if this continues!
Tony

I haven't noticed this happen since I replaced the actuator valves.

Pump was/is my best guess - I am thinking maybe a symptom of the heating having been jamming on for a while, is the pump has been over worked and got a bit lazy (+ it must be best part of 15 years old).

Only niggling thing is it seeming to work correctly for a few days after a 'cold start' ?

As an update - the switch it off and on again solution does seem to hold up.

Was switched of @ 8:00 Yesterday morning and back on at about 16:00.

Within an hour or so it had an ignition lockout ? Following a soft reset @ 17:00, the system has behaved as expected

i.e. heated up to desired temperature as expected and switched off when thermostat room temperature reached switched off with time clock over night ans switched on for hot rads and piping hot water this morning?

If previous experience is anything to go by, I expect this to behave itself now until about Saturday.

Which should I replace 1st Pump or PCB ?

Sponsored Links
Another update : This morning I woke to discover boiler was on ignition lock out - following a reset everything returned to normal ?

Make sure it is circulating properly before replacing other boiler parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back