Pottery Kiln

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people.

My wife is wanting a pottery kiln in our (my :evil: Garage) and i am currently altering the garage and garden so would like to upgrade the supply to the garage at the same time (just lay the cable ready for final commisioning by NICEIC) The garage cable run is 25m from consumer to consumer.

My question is-

What is the max size (kw) of kiln that she can have run on single phase in the garage? I have not started looking to much for one yet but if i see one in an auction, i wish to have the info to hand so i don't make a costly mistake.

I wish to run other equipment in the garage ie lights, power tools and possibly a small mig welder from time to time. The garage has a 2.5mm SWA at the moment, would this be upgraded, or remain and a dedicated supply to the kiln run along side?

The kiln sizes that appeal are in the range of 10-11Kw :eek: HOW MUCH!! so i can have that motor bike then.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
At that distance 2.5mm² SWA is good for about 4.5kW, so no use for the kiln.

If you are looking at 10-11kW for the kiln then you'd want at least 6mm² just for that. If it were me I'd put in 10mm² for the entire garage load.

Your biggest problem will be the total load for the installation. Do you have an electric shower? Electric cooker? How much do these kilns really draw - are they 10-11kW all the time?

i'd be saying at absoloute minimum 10mm XPLE or 16mm PVC

probablly best to run it off a seperate 60A switchfuse and hope to hell your service fuse holds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back