Rewiring my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting my garage into a workshop and need to replace the existing circuit.
I wish to install a new consumer unit in the workshop which will power one ring main, one lighting circuit and a dedicated 30amp circuit for an electric kiln. The area is 15sq metres.

I intend to have 8 x 13A 2Gang Switched Socket Outlets and 4 x 13A 1Gang Switched Socket Outlets. in the ring main. Is this OK?
The walls and ceiling will be lined with 50mm insulation board so I intend to make a 25mm x 75mm channel around the walls using timber and MDF to take the cable. Is this OK?
The lighting cable will be in the loft space and switches will be pull cords.
The 30amp kiln circuit will be 3m in length at most. How should I wire this circuit?

The supply to the garage also needs to be replaced. The run is about 12m from the domestic consumer unit in the bungalow all of which is sheltered from the elements by a carport that connects the workshop to the bungalow. What cable should I use?

There is no space on the existing domestic consumer unit for a dedicated connection to the workshop consumer unit. Do I need a new domestic consumer unit or is there another solution?

Sorry to be so long winded but any advice will be gratefully recieved.

Best regards - sparrow110

Sponsored Links
this has been asked so many times beofre (with out kiln) try a search for:

power to garage

power to outbuilding

garage power

power to shed

it answers all your questions

sparrow011 said:
I am converting my garage into a workshop and need to replace the existing circuit.
I wish to install a new consumer unit in the workshop which will power one ring main, one lighting circuit and a dedicated 30amp circuit for an electric kiln. The area is 15sq metres.
mmm electric kiln thats an unusual feature to consider probablly means we wan't a 50A feed from the house

sparrow011 said:
I intend to have 8 x 13A 2Gang Switched Socket Outlets and 4 x 13A 1Gang Switched Socket Outlets. in the ring main. Is this OK?

sparrow011 said:
The walls and ceiling will be lined with 50mm insulation board so I intend to make a 25mm x 75mm channel around the walls using timber and MDF to take the cable. Is this OK?
probablly better to use proper trunking so its obvious there is cable in there

sparrow011 said:
be very carefull about surrounding cable with insulation
if its unaviodable i would strongly advise wiring your lights in 2.5mm
also you should try and insure that there is insulation on only one side of the cable

sparrow011 said:
The 30amp kiln circuit will be 3m in length at most. How should I wire this circuit?
6mm twin and earth from a 32A breaker sounds ok

The supply to the garage also needs to be replaced. The run is about 12m from the domestic consumer unit in the bungalow all of which is sheltered from the elements by a carport that connects the workshop to the bungalow. What cable should I use?
[/quote]
3 core steel wire armoured cable is probablly the best choice its a pretty short run so 10mm will be ok for a 50A cuircuit

sparrow011 said:
There is no space on the existing domestic consumer unit for a dedicated connection to the workshop consumer unit. Do I need a new domestic consumer unit or is there another solution?
easiest way is to remove the lighting cuircuits from the CU and run 2.5mm from a 16A breaker to a couple of fused connection units with 5A fuses one for each lighting cuircuit

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
For a workshop I'd suggest metalclad surface mounted sockets and metal conduit. Nice and robust and no faffing about making channels...

plugwash said:
sparrow011 said:
easiest way is to remove the lighting cuircuits from the CU and run 2.5mm from a 16A breaker to a couple of fused connection units with 5A fuses one for each lighting cuircuit

Then come off a non-RCD breaker in the house CU to a metal box where you can terminate the SWA.

10mm 3-core SWA with the armour also earthed, from there to the garage, into a metal garage CU where you can terminate the SWA. That CU should have an RCD incomer, and breakers for sockets, lights, kiln, and spares in case you ever want separate circuits, e.g. pond pump, outside lights, hot tub etc.

Alternatively, if you have an isolation switch fitted, you could use a Henley block to allow a second set of tails to run to a metal 63A switchfuse where the SWA runs from as before.

plugwash said:
sparrow011 said:
mmm electric kiln thats an unusual feature to consider probablly means we wan't a 50A feed from the house
the present kiln is rated 13amps and designed to run from a plug in domestic socket. (don't cringe!) As I said I would wire this in to a dedicated circuit. However It is possible that in the future I may replace this kiln with one of not more than 30amps.
It is possible that i may decide to site the kiln in a different position with a longer cable run of up to 8m. Is this OK? Thanks again for the help!
sparrow011 said:

sparrow011 said:

sparrow011 said:
be very carefull about surrounding cable with insulation
if its unaviodable i would strongly advise wiring your lights in 2.5mm
also you should try and insure that there is insulation on only one side of the cable

sparrow011 said:
6mm twin and earth from a 32A breaker sounds ok

[/quote]
3 core steel wire armoured cable is probablly the best choice its a pretty short run so 10mm will be ok for a 50A cuircuit

sparrow011 said:
easiest way is to remove the lighting cuircuits from the CU and run 2.5mm from a 16A breaker to a couple of fused connection units with 5A fuses one for each lighting cuircuit[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back