Limitations of radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Confused! I have read that a radial circuit using 2.5mm cable covered by a 20A mcb can serve an area of no more that 20sq metres.
How is this measured? Is the distance from the consumer unit to the area served by the radial circuit a factor?
In my case, the distance from the consumer unit to the garage/workshop is say 10m and the garage/workshop is approx 20 sq metres.
Is this condition ok?

Sponsored Links
It is not the area served, but the current carrying capacity of the cable & the size of the protective device that is important. I presume from your description that your garage is supplied by a 20A radial, but what does it serve in the garage? If there is a small consumer unit for lights & a socket then you will be fine.

it is the area the circuit serves, except in unusual circumstances I would take the area served as the total area of all rooms that the circuit serves.

just running through a room is not serving it.

Hi, currently I have 1 light in workshop and 2 lights and 2 double sockets in the garage ... I plan to add my old consumer unit, (I am replacing my existing one) 1 additional light and 1 additional socket.
Would this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
I believe that its 50m2 max floor area and max 30m run assuming the new CU is latest spec.

My understanding is that the floor area limit was based on potential space heating demand on a socket final circuit. This is not really applicable to a garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back