Kiln cable size

Are they 'vented' to the outdoors in any way?
They are not vented to the outdoors, but they usually have at least one removable plug in the lid or side, and some firing procedures involve leaving this out, or in others, leaving the lid slightly open to allow moisture to escape. More sophisticated models have vents which can open and close automatically.

In any event, the surrounding area will increase in temperature significantly during firing and for many hours afterwards, even if the lid is fully closed. 40-50C would not be unusual.

Sponsored Links
I have a customer who runs a custom tile making business, they have probably 6 kilns in the workshop. Ambient temperature is not an issue.

As far as I can see, from the description, the existing cable should be adequate for the load.
What needs to change is the way that is it fed from the supply. The existing CPD is too small and I would want a separate switch/fuse, rather than having it fed through the consumer unit.

I still query why the cable is protected by only a 32A MCB. I would expect that the CPD would be 40 or 45A. For this reason I'm still not convinced that he has a cable with 10mm² conductors.

Are they 'vented' to the outdoors in any way?
They are not vented to the outdoors, but they usually have at least one removable plug in the lid or side, and some firing procedures involve leaving this out, or in others, leaving the lid slightly open to allow moisture to escape. More sophisticated models have vents which can open and close automatically. ... In any event, the surrounding area will increase in temperature significantly during firing and for many hours afterwards, even if the lid is fully closed. 40-50C would not be unusual.
That what I suspected - so, as I said, it's like having five 2kW fan heaters running at full pelt, with the full 10kW worth of heat getting into the room/building one way or another. Even in a garage, I would have thought it would get pretty hot!

Kind Regards, John

As far as I can see, from the description, the existing cable should be adequate for the load. What needs to change is the way that is it fed from the supply. The existing CPD is too small and I would want a separate switch/fuse, rather than having it fed through the consumer unit.
Indeed, I eluded to that at some point. However, as I said or implied, unless one could find a 50A fuse (i.e. if one had to use a 60A one), 10mm² cable would have to have virtually no de-rating factors (including ambient temp ones) to be acceptable.
I still query why the cable is protected by only a 32A MCB. I would expect that the CPD would be 40 or 45A. For this reason I'm still not convinced that he has a cable with 10mm² conductors.
I suppose it could have once been used for much more modest loads, for which a 32A OPD was more than adequate (so it was not thought necessary to have a higher-rated OPD than that), with 10mm² cable installed for 'future-proofing' (maybe even with this kiln in mind!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I've never had a kiln but I don't think they are made to heat the room.

They aren't made to heat the studio, but do so very effectively ;) An electric kiln can be forcibly vented to the outside, but often isn't. However, the heat is mainly radiant - a kiln is basically a case of firebricks inside a metal skin, with electric elements inside. The interior temperature will rise to between 900 and 1300 C depending on the nature of the firing.

Cheers
Richard

Thank you, Richard.

Do you know if they come with suitable cable attached?
If so, what is it?
If not, is any recommended?

It states 10.5kW but only 39.6A.
It does, but goodness knows where they got that from. For 10.5kW to equate to only 39.6A would require a voltage of about 265V - well in excess of the maximum permitted UK supply voltage (253V).

Kind Regards, John

Thank you, Richard.

Do you know if they come with suitable cable attached?
If so, what is it?
If not, is any recommended?

It comes with a flexible conduit attached to it, containing three loose cores for connection to an isolator- it *looks* like 10mm.... I've not attempted to measure it but I don't think it's a bl00dy great 16mm thing

Cheers
Richard

It's not that kiln. Go here: ... Page 56, Easy Fire 28s, 230v, 10.5 kW, 47.7A
Fair enough, but even that's not quite right. As flameport pointed out at the start, for 10.5 kW to equate to 47.7A implies that they are quoting the power at 220V. With 230V (the 'nominal' UK voltage), as specified in this catalogue, 10.5kW would draw 45.65A. Put another way, 47.7A at 230V (which is what the catalogue says) would equate to about 10.97 kW (which is not what the catalogue says!).

It's therefore all a bit confusing, and we can't be totally sure exactly what current it really will draw - but we certainly know what the ballpark is!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I don't know exactly when the kiln man will be in the area, but I'll come back and let you know what his advice is.

Cheers
Richard

By chance I met one of the potters in the village this evening.

Fume extraction has to be considered as some clays and coloured slips can produce toxic fumes when fired.

I promised I'd report back when the kiln installer had been. His words were "10mm is the correct size cable for your kiln, don't worry about it".

He seemed to think Americans would even do it at 6mm ... It's an American-made kiln, and the cable attached to it (that will go to the isolator) is only 6mm.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Richard

[Post deleted because I wasn't thinking straight. Apologies to anyone I alarmed]

Thanks
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back