cable size for 6kw potters kiln

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a 6kw pottery kiln single phase 240 volt,I have a 40amp fuse on the supply end and the kiln on the other with a 45 amp switch cut into the circuit,the cable will be approx 5m in conduit under concrete and 5m in conduit above ground .
As it will be running for about 10 hours at a time can anyone advise me on the cable size I should use,My calculations lend me to using 6mm t&e or should I use the 10mm t&e?
Any advice would be most gratefully received.
Many thanks.
F.T.D.
xxxx

Sponsored Links
if it's in conduit, use tri-rated singles.. much more flexible and have a higher temperature sheath.

If in doubt, always go for the larger cable.. since the price difference over that distance will be negligable compared to the peace of mind and future expandability..

wouldn't a 30amp fuse or 32amp mcb be more appropriate for the kiln supply, can anyone else confirm or have i messed up my calculations?

As for cable size then as already said go for 10mm as it future proofs the installation.

Dan

If this is in an outbuilding, what are the outbuilding supply arrangements?

6mm cable and a 30 or 32 amp fuse or MCB are required.

If the cable runs outside at any point you MUST use steel wire armoured cable and earth at least one end of the cable's sheath with glands.
SWA:
SW6SLASH3.JPG

GLANDS:
TLB20.JPG

Sponsored Links
I'm absolutely convinced you have shares in both a CFL company and a SWA company since you seem to recomend these as an answer to almost every problem posted here regarding downlighters and outside electrics..

as a side note.. outdoor electrics need to be notified to the LABC before comencing work.. (Part P and all that.. )

Hi,Many thanks to all who replied to my question regarding the cable size,As most stated the 10mm now seems the most sensible option to me(funny how when you take advise it all becomes clearer) also will take the advise regarding the fuse ratings.
once again many thanks to all.
regards

F.T.D's

Must run in SWA

Where does that come from?

My understanding is that it is only a must when burried . Other non armoured cables may be used if not....

Clarification anyone?

Cheers

Richard

As you are running a kiln, I assume that you have water services also provided in the outbuilding?
If so there are things that you must do regarding safety protection and earthing.

Where does it say it is in an outbuilding? May possibly not be.

As for singles? I wouldn't recommend this, as there is no guarantee at all that the conduit is going to be installed as it should be - the amount of DIY'ers I see who install conduit and dont terminate it into the CU, they cut it short etc, and they use standard accessory back boxes, and butt the conduit to it.....and as for bends.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back