Powdery/sandy mortar on external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently re-decorating a small bedroom. Took the radiator under the window off, and noticed a load of plaster behind had blown. The base plaster is 1930's lime plaster so it came off like butter, despite having been skimmed over with gypsum at some point. Bashed it all off and noticed that a lot of the mortar in the brickwork was extremely sandy/powdery and looked slightly darker in colour to surrounding areas and other places in the house. The mortar started falling out just by rubbing a finger across it.

See image below. You can see where I've scraped the really sandy plaster out from between the brickwork. This is a cavity wall so I'd be surprised if the inner skin was getting wet, although I guess if below the window then water could be ingressing somewhere there? All of the plaster above the exposed area sounds fine if I tap it, don't think that has blown, and the mortar seems ok there. None of the brickwork there feels "damp". Could this be historical water ingress, or do you think I have an active problem and need to get someone in to take a look?

Thanks in advance.

plaster1.jpg

Sponsored Links
No, it doesn't feel damp. I guess this suggests a historical issue, and I just re-point the brickwork, make good the plaster and decorate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back