Power cable through stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mains cable poking through one of my stair treads and then into the riser. why is was done this way is anyones guess as there is easy access behind the stairs.

Trouble is I can not just strip out the wire and replace. Can I clip the wire and then reconnect behind the step with a chocolate box and lots of electrical tape? Is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
Providing the cable is jointed in an accessible location or maintenance free jointing methods are made.
There is no need to wrap electrical tape around the terminals, just make sure they are within an insulated enclosure.

That cable looks pretty well battered as it passes through the tread. Replacing the whole cable is always the best option.

under the tread is goes behind the plaster board down behind the consumer unit. it'd be a bitch to try and replace. After the riser, i have no idea where it goes.

plus i think its just 1mm cable

Sponsored Links
I've managed to trace it. It's a spur that feeds a single GU10 bulb in my kitchen (i think it was added to light up the fridge).

What ever the cable does it is in a hazardous place, it is at risk of damage from kicks ( accidental ) from people using the stairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back