Power consumption of a smoke alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install new batteries on my bog-standard, inexpensive, ceiling-mounted smoke alarms, which are chirping. Both take 9V batteries and I want to replace them with rechargeable ones. I have established that:

1. I can get reasonably-priced NiMH batteries.
2. Rechargeable "9V" batteries are in fact 8.4V, but this is sufficient for a smoke alarm.
3. Most inexpensive rechargeables are 160 mAh.

Question is, how long will this last? I don't want to be getting up the 10ft ladder every 2 months. I have looked at the smoke alarm info available online but power consumption doesn't seem to be something they publish.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
And if they're still giving out Fire Angel, be careful, as they don't work properly. They take ages to react, and sometimes don't; and they they used to be advertised as a 10 year backup battery, and are now down to 7.

Now, do you want free, cheap, or thank God I fitted the good ones.

Thanks all for your input but what I really want to know is how much power a smoke alarm uses, hence how long a 160mAh battery might last (i.e. if it is in 'watch' mode only and doesn't have to ring any alarms).

Right, RSGAZ, so here goes on the time the battery will last. :cool:

A 160 mAh battery can supply 160 mA for 1 hour, or 160 microA for 1000 hours.
So - using your CO monitor consumption - if it's supplying 20 microA, it should last 8000 hours, or 333 days. That's a year in old money. I'd be happy with that.

(If the 150 microA one is 12V, it's probably a mains one plugged into an adaptor, i.e. not the stick-it-on-the-ceiling type that I have.)

Thanks very much for your research and figs!

That's a year in old money. I'd be happy with that.

It will start chirping way before that though, you're starting from a lower voltage than 9 to begin with.

6 months would be a reasonable guesstimate.

Well-reminded. Thanks. Any idea what the effect of voltage lowering will be? I'm struggling to think how fast 'charge evaporation' will affect the voltage, and hence how soon it will start chirping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back