Do I need a mains fire alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the fire alarm in a 2 bed flat. The alarm is in the hallway to the door. It is the only alarm in the property. The existing alarm is mains powered with rechargeable 9v NiCad. It has 3 wires: brown, blue and white. The brown is connected using a connector block to a red wire in the ceiling. The blue wire is connected to a black (I think) wire in the ceiling the white is not connected. Do I need to replace the alarm with a mains powered one, or can I use a battery powered instead? Will any mains powered alarm work with the two ceiling wires?

Sponsored Links
Is there a simple answer? I have no idea what is a sheltered housing. The property is a flat. The building has 6 flats, with 2 flats per storey.

Not sure what group your flat comes into the link advises on what certain categories and protection levels should consist of.

Is this not covered in the flats service charge as part of the flats system?

Not sure what system you have, or what is the current unit in your flat or if its linked to others in your block or triggers sounders in your block?

Please note I don't do fire systems, however i would start by looking at the model you currently have and have it replaced like for like by whomever is supposed to be maintaining the system.

Sponsored Links
It's a year 2000 build. Unlikely the same model alarm is available. With just the two wires, will that work with any mains alarm? If I could get away with battery powered alarm, I wouldn't mind going for that. The alarm is unlikely to be covered by the service charge. I heard nothing from the managing company. I can't even replace the battery because nobody does NiCad any more, not even the chinese.

I cant speak for the managing company and what they are supposed to do and actually do.

What does it say on your paperwork?

My concern would be that I doubt that your flat is a stand alone system, but a part of a system for the block of flats.

Post details of the one you have and maybe someone that does fire can give you a better idea.

Seems stand alone. The alarm is powered by the circuit for lights. If the lights switch on the consumer unit is turned off, the alarm would have no mains power.

sounds like a stand alone unit if there is no connection to the interlink wire …..as allways photos will help

I will get the model number once I am at the property. It is more than 20 years old. I don't think interlink was invented then.

Here's the alarm. It will probably be fine with a new battery.

alarm1.png
alarm2.png

And it probably won’t ….just replace it with a new one …..or if you don’t value your life ….don’t

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back