Smoke alarm beeping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my four Interconnected BRK smoke alarms started beeping the other night. The alarms are mains powered with 9v battery backup. I got it down to replace the battery and noticed the expiry date of the alarm was 12 months ago.

As they were all fitted at the same time, I ordered four new ones and am awaiting delivery. Meanwhile I replaced the battery temporarily until new ones arrive. But the unit still beeps.

I assumed it's because it's expiry date has passed, so I took the unit down and removed the battery, leaving the other three working.

To my surprise, the unit carried on beeping intermittently. How can it do this with no battery or mains power? Apart from hitting it with a big hammer, how can I stop it beeping?

Sponsored Links
It keeps a charge inside the unit , normally holding down the test button discharges it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back