Power cord ripped from washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My washing machine started leaking at the front underneath so thought I would pull it out and double check the connections.

Unfortunately as I was pulling it out the plug got stuck in behind it and I managed to rip it off away from the washing machine

Is this easily repairable by myself? I have wired plugs / sockets lights etc lots of times.

Also after I had done this i realised I should have checked the filter and there was a hair bobble in there with a build up of fluff - could this have caused the leak?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is easily repaired, possibly the wires have been pulled off the supressor or a terminal block, but hard to tell whether the wires have been pulled out of screw connector or some other type of terminals. Your earth wire (yellow & green) has a spade terminal so I'm not sure what would have been fitted to the live & neutral. You will need to remove the back of the machine if possible & look around near the cable entry for a cable clamp & possibly a terminal block.
Yes a blocked pump can cause leaks.

In addition to above....looking at the picture you may have snapped the blue (neutral) cable and damaged the brown (live/line) cable as the lengths are very different.

Take the lid off the machine (you may not need to remove the back), you should see where the power comes in. Probably to a chock/terminal block as mentioned above.

Regarding the cable, move the rubber grommet back, cut and pull back the PVC sheath until you have enough fresh blue neutral cable as it looks to have snapped too short. Reduce the length of the brown cable and re strip it to ensure you have avoided any damaged strands. Then, re-attach it to the correct terminals.

I would just keep the long earth cable as is as it still has it's spade on. If the other connections have ripped of their own spades, you should buy some new ones of the same size. Re-using the existing ones may be too difficult as they will probably be crimped around the snapped cables.

The only issue I can foresee is that the flex will now be that bit shorter. If this was already an issue when removing the machine, you may want to consider getting a new length of flex (with appropriate cable core size) and fitting your own plug to give enough length to avoid it happening again when pulling the machine out.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back