Power Cord too Short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new washer dryer and second hand fridge freezer - power cord on both too short. How much would an electrician charge to change the cord on both appliances?

I'm also getting my bathroom refitted. Everything stays as it is; electrics - new shower + light + extractor fan to be fitted. I think the plumber's going to do this but he'll get his electrician 'friend' to look over the bathroom and 'print out a safety certificate', which he says I'll get a couple of days after the electrician checks it all out. I want a certificate so it's easier to sell the flat, if I decide to move again.
The charge for the certificate only is £110, not including the electrician fitting them in as plumber's doing that (3 fittings - shower/light/fan), does this sound right?

Sponsored Links
I bought a new washer dryer and second hand fridge freezer - power cord on both too short. How much would an electrician charge to change the cord on both appliances?
Not much. Use an extension lead.

I'm also getting my bathroom refitted.
Ok.

Everything stays as it is; electrics - new shower + light + extractor fan to be fitted.
:?:

I think the plumber's going to do this but he'll get his electrician 'friend' to look over the bathroom and 'print out a safety certificate',
It doesn't work like that.
At least the shower will be 'notifiable work' which means you must, legally,
inform the Local Authority at a hefty fee before the work is started or
employ a registered electrician who can do it himself very cheaply.

which he says I'll get a couple of days after the electrician checks it all out. I want a certificate so it's easier to sell the flat, if I decide to move again.
Then you had better do it properly.

The charge for the certificate only is £110,
There is no charge for the certificate; it is a legal requirement.

not including the electrician fitting them in as plumber's doing that (3 fittings - shower/light/fan), does this sound right?
No.

How much would an electrician charge to change the cord on both appliances?

A better solution would be to have an electrician install enough sockets, so you don't need an extension lead, or a longer flex. Too few sockets is common in houses which have outdated wiring.

Too few sockets is common in houses which have outdated wiring.
It's also common in new houses !

Another option is to simply extend the cables. Use a connector designed to join to flex leads together, plus a length of suitable cable, and a new plug (assuming the current ones are moulded on and can't be reused).

Sponsored Links
I thought it wasn't notifiable in Scotland. Am I getting this all wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back