Siting of Pull Cord Electric Extractor Shower Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New build - fitting a shower room.....builder has drilled through exernal wall to mount pull cord extractor fan....but....

I have now noticed that this will sit about 2.5 meters directly above the shower tray with the pull cord dangling inside the shower cubicle.......now don't get me wrong as I am no electrician but I though water and electric were not good partners.....Builder says not to worry as the wires will be behind plaster and then tiles.....with no exposed wires and a full cover over fan with only the pull cord visible but little worried this has been sited in wrong place.

Vented out thru cavity wall which is due to be rendered soon so all replies gratefully received !

Sponsored Links
Fan is fine for location as long as it has a minimum IP rating of IPX4 so the only problem is a potentially wet piece of string.
Personally I wouldn't have opted for a fan with integrated pullcord.

AH.....so what would be a btter option......(ideally quote me somehting from B+Q) that I can swap it for......and I will get him to fit that instead.....

A fan with an integrated timer would be a better option, switching on with the lights and running on for a set time after the lights have been switched off.
Is this how you would prefer the fan to work or would you prefer a straight on/off via a pullswitch?
How has he wired the fan that's there now?
How many cables / conductors?
Is it possible to alter the wiring if needed?

Sponsored Links
Hi Gary

Thanks for helping out here !

As far as I can see it has one wire plugged into it and works by pulling on the cord switch.....There is a double light switch on the wall in the room and only one switch is utilised at the moment for the light in the room where the shower room is situated.
Access is not a problem as the fan is at "first fix" ie....easily accessible (no plaster board or tiles as yet)

Ideas please ...thanks again

Hi Gary

Thanks for helping out here !

As far as I can see it has one wire plugged into it and works by pulling on the cord switch.....There is a double light switch on the wall in the room and only one switch is utilised at the moment for the light in the room where the shower room is situated.
Access is not a problem as the fan is at "first fix" ie....easily accessible (no plaster board or tiles as yet)

Ideas please ...thanks again

You might want to consider a separate pull cord, sited in a different place in the room, and get a fan with an overrun timer. Then you have the best of convenience, in that you can choose when you might want the fan on, and when you've finished in there, it'll continue to clear the steam away and you won't have to worry about going back in to turn it off.
There are various drawbacks to having it connected to the light. I much prefer to be able to choose if I want the fan on or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back