Power flushing question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title. Should it get everything out?

The reason I ask is that about 18 months ago, as part of a conversion to unvented hot water cylinder and a sealed system, I had a power flush. It didn’t half get some muck out. I hadn't had any inhibitor in the system for around 25 years and before the flush, whenever I bled any rads, the water would come out like black ink. After the flush and with inhibitor, the water from the rads ran crystal clear. The old header tank had about two inches of mud in the bottom of it! After the conversion to a sealed system, I changed all upstairs rads - two were leaking and the rest were just original 50 year old rads. The downstairs rads had all been replaced within the last 10 years or so.

Anyway, while decorating the hall, I removed two radiators. Black water came out of them. I’m assuming this was sediment still in the bottom of the rad that the power flush didn't clear. I took them outside, ran a hose through them, swilled, drained and repeated until all running clear. Should the power flush have cleared out all standing sediment or had it been just too long without any inhibitor?

I’m going to have my boiler changed in the next month or two so before that is done, would it be worth my while removing the remaining downstairs rads and flushing/swilling them out and then just having a chemical flush before a new boiler is installed?

Sponsored Links
As per the title. Should it get everything out?

The reason I ask is that about 18 months ago, as part of a conversion to unvented hot water cylinder and a sealed system, I had a power flush. It didn’t half get some muck out. I hadn't had any inhibitor in the system for around 25 years and before the flush, whenever I bled any rads, the water would come out like black ink. After the flush and with inhibitor, the water from the rads ran crystal clear. The old header tank had about two inches of mud in the bottom of it! After the conversion to a sealed system, I changed all upstairs rads - two were leaking and the rest were just original 50 year old rads. The downstairs rads had all been replaced within the last 10 years or so.

Anyway, while decorating the hall, I removed two radiators. Black water came out of them. I’m assuming this was sediment still in the bottom of the rad that the power flush didn't clear. I took them outside, ran a hose through them, swilled, drained and repeated until all running clear. Should the power flush have cleared out all standing sediment or had it been just too long without any inhibitor?

I’m going to have my boiler changed in the next month or two so before that is done, would it be worth my while removing the remaining downstairs rads and flushing/swilling them out and then just having a chemical flush before a new boiler is installed?
Definitely I would say. While you've got the sysyem drained for boiler change it would be mad to miss the opportunity to get more muck out of the system.

Clean as much carp from the rads as possible,after hose flushing the rads Consider putting some system cleaner in your system (around £7).leave it circulate and it will be flushed out during the new boiler install (y).

Sponsored Links
Clean as much carp from the rads as possible,after hose flushing the rads Consider putting some system cleaner in your system (around £7).leave it circulate and it will be flushed out during the new boiler install (y).
What bait should he use to catch those carp? lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back