Power for 2 machines?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone..

I want to put a dishwasher next to a washing machine.

The problem I got is there's only one single socket under the counter to power the washing machine.

I know due to the power both need I can't just put in a double socket, and I don't want to rip off all the tiles to run a new cable down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Sponsored Links
Is the current socket on the ring or is it a spur of some sort?

Thanks for the quick reply

It's a spur off the ring in the kitchen.

Then i'm afraid you are going to have some new cable to run since the new socket will need it's own connection to the ring.

Sponsored Links
Yeah that's what I thought too :(

Do you think making up a heavy duty (2.5mm flex) extension lead and running it to another socket will be fine for the short term?

Thanks again for the quick replies.

Do you think making up a heavy duty (2.5mm flex) extension lead and running it to another socket will be fine for the short term?
1.5 mm² flexible cable would actually be adequate. Whilst that obviously would 'work' as a short-term measure, it's clearly not a satisfactory long-term solution. The problem (we are all guilty!) is that once you've taken this 'temporary' course, you'll probably forget about it (particularly given that the extension will probably be hidden behind machines) and never get it sorted properly - so, ideally, best to have it sorted out now, whilst it is in your mind.

Kind Regards, John

Considering it will not be seen. I would fit a fused connection unit and two sockets from that. It may once in a blue moon blow the fuse but I would expect that would be very rare.

Considering it will not be seen. I would fit a fused connection unit and two sockets from that. It may once in a blue moon blow the fuse but I would expect that would be very rare.
Hmmm - with a dishwasher and washing machine fed from the same 13A FCU, I think fuse blowing might not be quite a 'once in a blue moon' occurrence. I don't really think that would be a very 'nice' solution, even if theoretically safe.

Kind Regards, John.

I have a tumble drier and washing machine fed that way. It was one of those temp jobs and it has never blown the fuse.

To me not a safety issue but could be annoying if it were to fail. Although theory says no in practice a dish washer heater doesn't go on for long enough to blow a fuse.

On a marina my son was given a 6 amp supply from a B rated MCB and was able to run a washing machine at 2.2kW on that supply. When he moved to a 4 amp MCB it failed. So I would from that assume a 2.2kW LG washing machine uses an average of 6 amp.

If the alternative is to completely re-decorate after a new supply if fitted I would consider it was worth a try.

Bring back hot fill washing machines.

I have a tumble drier and washing machine fed that way. It was one of those temp jobs and it has never blown the fuse. ... To me not a safety issue but could be annoying if it were to fail. Although theory says no in practice a dish washer heater doesn't go on for long enough to blow a fuse.
Indeed, as I said it is not theoretically a safety issue, but I'm sure you would agree that it is 'not nice'. Furthermore, I don't think it would be difficult to argue that it was, or was close to being, non-compliant with various regulations, since one shouldn't really design a circuit if one knows that the In of the OPD (and quite probably the CCC of the cable supplying the FCU) is likely to be exceeded at times, on the basis that this may may well not happen for long enough periods for the OPD to operate.
Yes, I never really understood why they vanished (and, probably stupidly, still put in the facility for a hot feed when I'm doing plumbing in kitchens and utility rooms - maybe 'in case they come back'!) - after all, very many people have cheaper ways of heating water than by using electricity.

Kind Regards, John

Too right! Everybody is harping on about being green, many people now have solar water with mixer valves on but can only buy a washing machine that's cold fill only!! :eek:

I have a feeling that Miele still do hot fill but while the quality is good so is the price.

Too right! Everybody is harping on about being green, many people now have solar water with mixer valves on but can only buy a washing machine that's cold fill only!! :eek:

I have a feeling that Miele still do hot fill but while the quality is good so is the price.

The problem is that due to the small volume of water a modern washing machine uses on the wash cycle you probably wouldn't get any of the green heated water into the machine, depending on the length of the supply pipe. So it would have to heat it anyway and would have to move some of your stored hot water from the insulated tank to the pipework to go cold.

My old Indesit is H+C fill.

Everyone slags it off, but it's only failed twice, once a control module (at 9 yo) and secondly the door interlock earlier this year. The second could easily be put down to abuse from 3 young boys slamming the door over the years!

Total repair bill just under £100.

For a machine that has been washing a family of 5's stuff every day for over 13 years, that's not bad.

When the boys were much younger, we struggled with one machine, so, impressed with the original machine, we bought another newer model, also Indesit.

Let's just say it broke down twice in the 2 years, became uneconomic to repair and went to the great utility room in the sky...

The problem is that due to the small volume of water a modern washing machine uses on the wash cycle you probably wouldn't get any of the green heated water into the machine, depending on the length of the supply pipe. So it would have to heat it anyway and would have to move some of your stored hot water from the insulated tank to the pipework to go cold.

Very true. I was thinking of my much missed old Servis 600, one of the first push button digital machines c1982 that had a hot fill and used a respectable amount of water to do the job. I refuse to acknowledge its replacement as a worthy replacement due to the puddle of water it insists on trying to wash clothes in. And everytime it leaves a slight soap powder mark on black things, after it claims to have rinsed them, I show it its own plug to its one big eye at the front, and threaten to cut it off. It will EEEKO the clothes to death for anything up to 2.5 hours if you let it. Even on extra quick it's extra pants.

The ole Servis machine had a hot fill and the washing time could be speeded up even more if you drew off a bit of hot water to the sink just before pressing go. You could easily chop & change its programs and it was done and dusted in about 40mins. And, AND you could even open the door and get your stuff as soon as the drum had stopped spinning. None of this 'Well, I've done them, and I can see you standing there, jumping up and down with your basket all ready, so I taunt you by not unlocking the door for at least 5 minutes. Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of Elderberries'.

Sadly, after 5 outer drum bearings, 2 inner drum bearings, 2 control boards, 2 motors, a handful of pairs of brushes, 3 heaters, 1 inardy drum thingy with a bit of gubbins on it, 2 triacs, several door seals, 1 pump and 22 years of faithful service the Servis 600 was allowed to die. :cry: I don't know if I should admit this on a public forum, but I made it a cake for its 21st birthday. We were such good friends.

Then, in its 8130th day of service (or was it 8131st? I forget) the crack in the diecast drum bearing housing meant that this time, without major major reworkings, that it really was curtains, :eek: and they wouldn't be going in the front.
So after a funeral with full military honours, the body was sent to the home for naughty machines, but its brain and other select highlights were carefully stored away, in a box marked 'Frankenmatic'. Waiting for the day when I have a bit more time to find a suitable donor body. When, it WILL_LIVE_AGAIN.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back