Washing Machine off a 13A switched fused unit pack help pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plumber and his mate have plumbed in a washing machine for us.

They have wall mounted a single 3 pin socket and connected it to an existing 13A switched fused unit pack.
The washing machine power on light does not work.

When connected to one of the other 3 pin sockets in a different room (via an extension cable) the washing machine power on light comes on and the machine works.

The switched fused unit pack also has a double socket already connected to it, this double socket is in a adjoining room.
That socket works both when the new single 3 pin socket is connected and when it is not.

So I am currently running the washing machine via an extension cable.

Can anyone suggest what might be happening which stops the new 3 pin socket working please?

(We recently moved house and I can't find my multi meter to test for power).

Thanks for looking,
Bern

Sponsored Links
EFLI,

This was my thought too.

But the three of us have all looked carefully and all wires are (seem to be) connected and secured tightly to their posts.
They used a power tester "pen" which seemed to light up/buzz as expected.

Can 13a switched fused packs get overloaded without the fuse going?

Would it be an idea is to disconnect the cables going to the double socket and connect in the cables to the new single socket?
If this is worth trying I'll wait until I find my multi-meter to make sure I've isolated that circuit. :)

Bern

Hi, you have checked the fuse in the fuse connection unit is working ?

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
The light pen will tell you if there's line voltage (or induced line voltage) at the end. It won't tell you if there's a neutral present, or more importantly an earth!

Fuse is OK.

I hadn't thought about the earth.
I bet that's where the fault is.

Thank you for the various replies and suggestions,

Bern

No, the earth will make no difference to it working.

If all the wires are terminated properly and all the accessories are good then it CAN'T NOT work.

It could be anything wrong.

Get back the plumbers to fix it.

No, the earth will make no difference to it working.

Absence of a neutral will, though. And you wont detect that with any light pen. You need a multimeter or a two-probe voltage tester.

I can't believe that the plumbers left without checking the operation, or maybe I can…...

Thank you for all the replies.

We are new to the area having moved from Tewkesbury to just south of Leighton Buzzard the week before Christmas so finding a good electrician is going to be the next task on our list.

I am working away for a couple of days then we have the mother in laws birthday to attend over 250 miles away so that's the weekend taken care of.

It looks like next week I'll be trying to find an electrician,

Bern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back