Power from house cu to mancave

If it would need a new supply from a new transformer from a pole via 3 miles through a site of scientific interest at 200k pounds, yes, it would be more economical overall.
True, but we have no reason to believe that there would be a need for any change at all in the supply, let alone anything remotely like the extreme you mention, even if the OP does have an electric shower in his outhouse :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It never fails to amaze me that people in here are so quick to 'help' posters, asking questions like this one. There is a process which we follow and this does not start with 'I have a 40A MCB, so what cable do I need'. If you have a qualified electrician, I'd second the advice offered by BAS to let him design your installation. He can see your property and none of us her can do so.

It never fails to amaze me that people in here are so quick to 'help' posters, asking questions like this one. There is a process which we follow and this does not start with 'I have a 40A MCB, so what cable do I need'. If you have a qualified electrician, I'd second the advice offered by BAS to let him design your installation.
Good to see you.

To be fair to others, BAS was only really repeating the advice given in the very first response to the OP.

I don't think that anyone has really given any specific 'help' to the OP in this thread. What discussion there has been has merely been aimed at helping the OP to understand that his notions about what sort of cable might be appropriate could well be inadequate and/or not sensible, thereby underlining the need for professional design by someone who is actually aware of the situation and requirements.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not "only".

Then get him to also do the design of it all.

And be aware that (legally) you may not do this, or the water and drainage, without Building Regulations approval, so you need to decide whether you are going to do it legally or illegally. Your plan won't work for the former.

Good to see you.

To be fair to others, BAS was only really repeating the advice given in the very first response to the OP.

I don't think that anyone has really given any specific 'help' to the OP in this thread. What discussion there has been has merely been aimed at helping the OP to understand that his notions about what sort of cable might be appropriate could well be inadequate and/or not sensible, thereby underlining the need for professional design by someone who is actually aware of the situation and requirements.

Kind Regards, John
To be fair to BAS, he specifically advised the OP to get his friend (the qualified electrician) to design the circuit and I seconded that specific advice. The OP has referrred to his 40A MCB and asked if 10mm SWA is adequate. I do this for a living, not a hobby, and have never installed a circuit based on gut feeling. As the actual load has not been determined, any design is pure speculation.

To be fair to BAS, he specifically advised the OP to get his friend (the qualified electrician) to design the circuit and I seconded that specific advice. The OP has referrred to his 40A MCB and asked if 10mm SWA is adequate. I do this for a living, not a hobby, and have never installed a circuit based on gut feeling. As the actual load has not been determined, any design is pure speculation.
I don't think that anyone here disagrees with any of that and, particularly in the absence of anything like enough information, no-one has really given any specific 'design advice' (other than to question the OP's approach and 'gut feelings').

Anyway, we now seem to be presented with a fait accomplis - and goodness only knows what the OP has done, or how satisfactory it is.

Kind Regards, John

Or what he thinks satisfactory, or "does what it has to" even mean.

I suspect he is in the "if the lights work and there is no smoke then that means it is OK" camp, and we'll never hear from him again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back