Garage Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some information on garage consumer units.

I've currently got a 16 way split load CU inside the house and a length of 2.5mm twin and earth going from this into the garage. This powers approximately 2 double power sockets in the garage.

A FCU is also also connected to this 2.5mm cable powering 2 tube lights in the garage.

A little while ago, it was suggested to me that I fit a second consumer unit in the garage (which is connected to the existing CU in the house) to power the garge electrics from it.

My question is what would be the reason of doing this as the garage only has a limited set of power sockets in there anyway?

Secondly, if I were to install a second CU in the garage, would this have to be of a specific type or could a buy a standard (although smaller) CU off the shelf which can be used for a house and use that? I ask this as lookng on ebay, some CU's are specifically listed as garage CU's - just wondering if this is due to the size of the unit or if it is more to do with the unit having extra circuitry in there?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Exactly what I was thinking..... It was a friend of mine who told me about it, no real reason was given, he just said it'd be neater and that the circuits would be seperated.

Just wondering if it makes any sense.

Sponsored Links
While you are there, could I ask you about

I've currently got a 16 way split load CU inside the house and a length of 2.5mm twin and earth going from this into the garage.

This 2.5mm² T&E cable.
How does this get to the garage, or is the garage attached to the house?
What value of contact breaker protects the cable to the garage?

It's an attached garage and so the cable comes out of the CU and goes through the wall that the CU is attached to. The other side of this same wall is the garage.

Can't remember what the breaker value is, will post it when I get home tonight....

I was hoping you were going to say that.
Sometimes the T&E is just buried in the flowerbeds - not best practise.

Sounds like you do not need to do anything.
I am assuming that the garage mcb is on the RCD side of the consumer unit?

Per the above

My question is what would be the reason of doing this as the garage only has a limited set of power sockets in there anyway?
None whatsoever. It would be a complete waste of time and money.

I was hoping you were going to say that.
Sometimes the T&E is just buried in the flowerbeds - not best practise.

Sounds like you do not need to do anything.
I am assuming that the garage mcb is on the RCD side of the consumer unit?

Per the above

None whatsoever. It would be a complete waste of time and money.

No, nothing like that, as I said, the cable literally just goes through the wall and that's it. the breaker is rated at 32. Is that not a little too high?

32A is to high for 2.5mmT&E cable either the cable CSA wants to be increased or the MCB down rated to a 20A one.
The option you take will depend on the power the garage sockets use.
I assume that the sockets are on a different circuit to the lights?

I assume that the sockets are on a different circuit to the lights?
It seems not:
A FCU is also also connected to this 2.5mm cable powering 2 tube lights in the garage.
However, I imagine this (and a 20A MCB) will probably stills erve the OP satsifactorily if only modest loads on the sockets are contemplated.

Kind Regards, John.

Ahh! I missed that :oops: So that's would be why a suggestion was made regarding the garage CU install, I assume to split the lighting circuit up from the socket circuit :?:
Possibly, but I don't see that as a good reason for a local CU if the requirements are very modest. The person giving the advice talked about 'separation', and could have been refering to the lights/power. 'Separating' the whole of the garage from the house CU (and its RCD) would obiously be 'nice' but that would involve running a proper sub-main, and that doesn't seem to be what was being suggested.

Provided the MCB is downrated to 20A (or the cable uprated to 4mm² - which I doubt the OP needs), I see nothing wrong with his present set-up.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back