Power in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst our kitchen extension was being done I managed to run a length of 10mm swa about 10yards into the garden. At some point in the summer I want to build raised decking with a power socket and some floor spotlights.
Can someone recommend how I should terminate the power there until I'm ready to do the decking. A socket etc or a junction box where I can take power for the lights and socket?

Sponsored Links
Terminate the cable with an exterior SWA gland and mount the gland in an adaptable box.

10mm² for 10 yards.. :eek:

Are these floor-lights to mark out a place for helicopters to land in thick fog? ;) :) :D :LOL:

Anyway - enough of this frivolity. Is the cable buried or just lying on the ground as it will be covered by the decking?

How you eventually terminate it will depend on what you plan to do or might do in addition to the socket and lights. I'd suggest a small waterproof CU with an RCD (and therefore taking the supply from the non-RCD side of the house CU, or by splitting the tails and going through a switchfuse), a couple of MCBs, e.g. 16A for the socket and 6A for the lights, and at least one spare way to eventually use on the hot-tub that'll need the extra capacity of that big cable...:cool:

Until then I personally would leave it unconnected at the supply end, and the outside end just taped up with gaffer tape to keep water out.

In England or Wales whatever you do will be notifiable.

10mm² for 10 yards.. :eek:
Are these floor-lights to mark out a place for helicopters to land in thick fog? ;) :) :D :LOL:
They will help prevent bad landings

images

Sponsored Links
The cable is 10mm for the floating helipad in the middle of the hot tub plus the fact I got it free. :D

As the sparky is going to be on site soon I might as well do as you guys suggested and get a small waterproof CU with an RCD.

Thanks for the info.

Actually can anyone recommend a small waterproof cu with an rcd. Just searched and can't find one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back