Garden power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m thinking of adding power to my garden and will be getting a qualified electrician to do the work but I am after a little insight just for my own mind before I get in touch with an electrician next year. What I am wanting to do is have a weather proof socket on a decking area (which is not built yet), maybe some LED lighting around the decking and then some lighting around the perimeter and another couple of sockets elsewhere. Assuming the cable would come from the consumer unit in the house the distance to the decking area is 30mtr, I have an isolator in the garage and if it comes off this it would be 45mtr. From the decking to one corner of the garden run to the other corner would be another 20mtr so its likely to be 50mtr of cable in total. Firstly would this need to be on ring which would increase the cable run as it would have to go back to the CU or would it be a radial circuit. Secondly I was assuming I could use 2.5mm SWA but after using an online calculator due to the cable run and potential load this wouldn’t be sufficient. Is the cable run the entire length of the circuit or is it to the first socket so example, cable comes from CU and goes 30mtr into junction box and splits into socket and then from junction box located 5mtr away and splits again to an FCU for decking lighting and into another junction box 10mtr away where it splits into a socket and another junction box and then from that junction box goes 5mtr into a FCU which completes the circuit (if it was a ring the electrician would then have to run a cable from the last FCU to the CU?) If the calculation is based on entire cable run it would be 50mtr but if it’s to any given outlet then the biggest one would be 30mtr and this is where I’m getting confused because when l think about my kitchen it has 9 sockets and cable in/out of every socket must be 5mtr so looking at 45mtr run and then if I had kettle, dishwasher, microwave and toaster all on at same time I don’t understand how 2.5mm twin and earth is enough to give enough amp/power but to run a couple of sockets and lighting in the garden would require 6mm? If 6mm is used and goes into junction box which then feeds FCU for LED lighting would I then use 1.5mm from junction to fcu and continue using 6mm from junction box to the next junction box?

I might have a summer house in the future in the corner where one of the sockets is proposed to go and so this might need addition FCU for lighting and maybe an addition socket when cabin is errected and also might get a hot tub in years to come which would be behind the decking next to the second junction box but this might never happen but if it did would I be best running off a separate circuit or making multiple circuits so I can use just small cable or would it best making the entire garden circuit out of 10mm SWA or whatever thickness is beyond adequate. Best methods and most cost effective methods would be appreciated please

Sponsored Links
I have an isolator in the garage and if it comes off this it would be 45mtr.
How is that supplied?

What does it isolate?

would this need to be on ring
No.

Secondly I was assuming I could use 2.5mm SWA
Why? What does it matter? Your electrician will be deciding what size cable is needed.

but after using an online calculator due to the cable run and potential load this wouldn’t be sufficient. Is the cable run the entire length of the circuit or is it to the first socket so example, cable comes from CU and goes 30mtr into junction box and splits into socket and then from junction box located 5mtr away and splits again to an FCU for decking lighting and into another junction box 10mtr away where it splits into a socket and another junction box and then from that junction box goes 5mtr into a FCU which completes the circuit (if it was a ring the electrician would then have to run a cable from the last FCU to the CU?) If the calculation is based on entire cable run it would be 50mtr but if it’s to any given outlet then the biggest one would be 30mtr
You don't have to worry about any of that.

Why do you want all those junction boxes anyway? Every one will be a point of potential failure and problems.

and this is where I’m getting confused because when l think about my kitchen it has 9 sockets and cable in/out of every socket must be 5mtr so looking at 45mtr run
You've got 9 sockets in your kitchen, and they are 5m apart? Sounds like an enormous kitchen, and surely it is very inconvenient for there only to be a socket every 5m?

and then if I had kettle, dishwasher, microwave and toaster all on at same time I don’t understand how 2.5mm twin and earth is enough to give enough amp/power but to run a couple of sockets and lighting in the garden would require 6mm?
As you said above - voltage drop.

If 6mm is used and goes into junction box which then feeds FCU for LED lighting would I then use 1.5mm from junction to fcu and continue using 6mm from junction box to the next junction box?
I think you are worrying too much about details which will not be a concern to you, and getting confused because you don't understand the ins-and-outs of circuit design.

I might have a summer house in the future in the corner where one of the sockets is proposed to go and so this might need addition FCU for lighting and maybe an addition socket when cabin is errected and also might get a hot tub in years to come which would be behind the decking next to the second junction box but this might never happen but if it did would I be best running off a separate circuit or making multiple circuits so I can use just small cable or would it best making the entire garden circuit out of 10mm SWA or whatever thickness is beyond adequate. Best methods and most cost effective methods would be appreciated please
You need to think about how likely the "might " is, and also consider the cost and disruption involved in putting in a larger cable at a later date. When considered as a % of the overall cost, the difference in price between 10mm² and 6mm² might be trivial enough to make you insure against the latter whatever the former is.

Thanks for the reply, I do worry too much lol but I like to have a bit of understanding and so I can generate a rough cost as if its too much I won't bother wasting an electricians time to quote me and just knock it on its head. The kitchen is not enormous, when I say 5mtr cable I meant comes from ceilng (2.5mtr)into socket then out of socket back to ceiling (2.5mtr) and then into next socket so long cable run. 2.5mm mattered becaused I was trying to work out a rough price. Would it be more practical to use have a smaller consumer unit like this https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5704SSP1.html
mounted on the decking (if its fully weatherproof of course) which is 30mtr away from house, then could have several circuits using the MCB's on CU so 20A for the hot tube, 6A for perimeter lighting, 6A for decking lighting, 20A for power sockets etc? If so the CU linked above is 63A (although total MCB's=74A) so 10mm SWA run for 30mtr into this would be sufficent for 63A. Then use smaller SWA from the MCB's as adequate.

There are so many factors involved that you can't cost it - you need an electrician to see the physical space, discuss what loads will be where, and take it from there.

A local CU might be a good solution.

Sponsored Links
There is a massive difference between the simple and complex, I went for simple, garage is supplied off the ring in the bedroom and if I have a BBQ I plug in the induction hob on an extension from garage. Not ideal but it works.

Son has a board down garden with a 16A socket for caravan, water and waste for caravan and a LAN connection so he can live in the caravan, it was done to live in while working on house, and now it seems really OTT.

You have to consider once you exceed 13A the price goes up by a huge amount, so step one is decide can you get away with 13A or do you need more.

The idea is a family get together and eatable burgers, so BBQ lit, with the sacrificial sausage put on it, but stuff we eat cooked with induction hob.
There are much better ways to do things than that.

• Have the BBQ cooler. #1 good idea - most people have theirs far too hot. If you can't hold a flat outstretched hand about 20cm over it for several seconds it is too hot.
  • Pre-cook the meats and finish on the BBQ - I have had success with chicken legs done in a pressure cooker, and spare ribs done as a confit in lard (great thing there is you can do that weeks in advance).
  • Serve steak, which can be eaten so rare that a good vet could get it back on its feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back