Which way ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im just after some opinions please

The situation is as follows

45 amp fuse for cooker at fuseboard - 6mm cable ran to a junction box behind the cooker - from the junction box there is a 6mm cable to the cooker , and 2x 2.5mm2 cables to the hob and to the cooker hood

So 2xFCU and 1 x cooker switch are required to resolve however would you take the feed for the 2 FCU's from the junction box or would you take it from a nearby socket

The difference of opinion when discussed at work was the feed to the spurs should be taken from a socket however others advised that due to the small run from the junction box to the spur rhen it was Ok to run from the JB.. The NICEIC were called and they advised 'its doable'

what would you do ?

Sponsored Links
I would much prefer to see the smaller items fed from a local ring final or radial circuit. In my opinion the 45A OCPD does not offer adequate protection to the 2.5mm conductors, and I think it would be impractical/wasteful to afford the mechanical protection required to meet 433.2.2(ii), seeing as you probably wont be able to meet (i) with the CPC in 2.5mm T+E on a 45A OCPD.

Sponsored Links
IIRC you can provide overcurrent protection downstream but you would need to calcuate the adibatic to see if the CPC in the 2.5mm T&E was adequate short circuit protection for the run from the JB to the FCUs.

BTW MK claim the terminals in their FCUs can take 2x6mm, this may provide another soloution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back