40 amp to 13 amp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I run a 13 amp socket from a 40 amp shower circuit. I want to put some sockets in my attic, and the shower cable is the only one there.Can I use a junction box to split the 40a cable and then a 13a fcu. 1st time on here, not had time to have a look yet.

Sponsored Links
i think the easiest way to do it safely would be to fit a DP 16A mcb in a two module din box. take the shower cuircuit cables into one end (a mcb should have sufficiant terminal capacity for two 10mm cables in one end)

then from the other end of the mcb you can run 2.5mm cable to the sockets.

bear in mind that many shower cuircuits do not have much spare capacity. depending on the intended use of the sockets this coulc cause neusesnce tripping if the showe and sockets are used together

its not ideal to spur off shower cuircuits but if you do it as i describe above it should be safe and suitable for the likely loads in a loft (ie stuff like TV amplifiers and occasional use of power tools)

Sponsored Links
What rating is the shower?
What size is the cable supplying the shower?

9.5kw and the cable is 10mm. I want to put a train set in the attic so looking for a power supply.

bear in mind that an unconverted loft should not be used as habitable space (though a lot of people do)

9.5KW on a 40A is already pushing things

i think you would probablly be better off with a fused spur from one of the sockets on the upstairs ring.

I'm with plugwash. With a 9.5kW shower on a 40 amp circuit you've got hardly anything left. Think ahead. You only want to run a train set but what if you sell the house? The next owner will expect to be able to plig a 3kW heater into that socket.

Think even further ahead. If you're going to break into the upstairs ring and run a cable up the wall, it's not much more effort to run two cables. Extend the ring into the loft. You'll be pleased you did later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back