Using a 13 amp FCU to add a socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could do with an extra socket in one of the bedrooms, it needs replastering and thought this would be a good time to add the extra socket.

I suspect existing socket might be a spur (not checked yet) but if it is, could I simply add a 13 amp FCU to the existing socket and run a new socket of that?

I realise you cannot extend of a spur, but I can't see any problem with running another socket of a 13 amp fuse, as this is just the same as an extension lead anyway.

Sponsored Links
I could do with an extra socket in one of the bedrooms, it needs replastering and thought this would be a good time to add the extra socket.
If you are going to be replastering then you can chase cables into the walls as required to extend the ring, rather than tacking on spurs.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

I suspect existing socket might be a spur (not checked yet) but if it is, could I simply add a 13 amp FCU to the existing socket and run a new socket of that?
No.

I realise you cannot extend of a spur, but I can't see any problem with running another socket of a 13 amp fuse, as this is just the same as an extension lead anyway.
But an extension lead would be plugged into the socket, you wouldn't have whatever is plugged in plus an extension lead.

Remember that to comply with the current Wiring Regulations any new socket or any new concealed cabling has to have RCD protection.

Surely if the FCU REPLACED the spurred socket, and both the existing socket and the new socket were run from the load side of the FCU, that would be acceptable?

It would comply with the regulations.

Personally I'm not convinced that it would necessarily be safe.

Sponsored Links
How is it any different to people who run a simple garage supply from a 13a FCU in the house?

It could be argued that its safer than a double socket on the end of the spur, where someone could potentially connect a pair of large heaters and overload the cable feeding the spur?

Indeed it would be.
You could, the new socket would require 30mA RCD protection if none already available on circuit, and all cable must be route in permitted safe zones within walls and floors. (also any chasing of walls and holing of joist must be compliant to building regulations)
You are right, you cannot spur from a spur on ring final circuit, but you could introduce a 13A FCU at the existing socket then add outlets from that point. (providing that it is not a spurred spur).
If it's a radial circuit, then it could be likely that you can take a spur without the requirement of a FCU.
So confirmation of circuit type would be required.
But personally I would extend the complete ring (if ring). if I was having floor up and plastering walls and forget about spurs.

Argorn84- what is being suggested is that the 13 amp fs is okay, but not the BEST way to do things.

If the circuit is a radial on 2.5 mm it should be protected via 20 amp fuse at the cu. if that is the case then adding another socket or set of sockets can be done without the fs.

If the circuit is a ring on 2.5 mm it will be protected by a 30 amp fuse and will have two sets of LNE terminated at the cu.

If the circuit is a ring with a spur you'd be better off removing the spur and extending the ring giving all sockets a rating of 30 amp.

The fs method is ok, but is a bit cowboy and since you have stated the room will be fully refurbed why not do things correctly, rather than half right?

How is it any different to people who run a simple garage supply from a 13a FCU in the house?

It could be argued that its safer than a double socket on the end of the spur, where someone could potentially connect a pair of large heaters and overload the cable feeding the spur?

I think BAS may point out that 13A fuses can handle a current of 20A without failing, and the accessory plate (FCU) may not!

It isn't.

It could also be argued that you could potentially put two large heaters into two sockets and overload the FCU - a 13A fuse will pass 20A indefinitely, and get mighty hot in the process.

Thanks :) I think I will just use the 6 way extension and just neaten it up a bit. There is no RCD protection but replacing the consumer is on the list of jobs to do. I so I may as well just get the spark to wire in the socket properly when he replaces the consumer unit.

I forgot about the RCD requirement. I think I need to buy a copy of the 17th Edition, just out of interest more than anything else. When I was a kid I had the 14th edition and things have changed a bit since then :D!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back