Power Shower Getting 250v & Burning Out Solenoids

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Triton II powershower that is receiving 250V on the 40 amp circuit. I've replaced several solenoids which have overheaded & failed.
The interior of the shower is dry and the solenoids are not / not getting wet and shorting out.
The solenoids are rated for 220V-240V and I think the excess 10v is being turned into heat that eventually burns out the solenoid. I live near high voltage power lines and I think the voltage coming off into the house is at 250v rather than 220v. :!:
That said should I put in some kind of resistor to lower the voltage to 220V? If so, can anyone recommend some type of ceramic resistor?
Or should I get another power shower that can take 250V? If so, any recommendations?
Can anyone help?
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Your incoming voltage should be between 216 and 253V.

If you can measure it accurately and it exceeds 253V, you can call the DNO who have a duty to bring the voltage down.

Thanks for the reply Safespark
I've measured it with a digital multimeter numerous times and keep getting 250V at the shower.
I suppose the voltage would be the same all over the house as there is no reason for it to be higher on the shower circuit.
A digital reader would be accurate enough?

If the voltage is 250 V at the shower off-load it will drop in use. If it is fitted with 220 - 240V coils take it up with Triton as they should be capable of operating within the UK declared voltage range up to 253V

Sponsored Links
Did I say 252? Ahem, I mean 253V... :oops: ;)

Do you have an overhead supply?

The solenoid coil is getting 250V each time I measure it. It heats up and burns out. I don't understand the 'overhead supply.' The wires come up from the ground floor fuse box.

The downstairs kitchen voltage averages 253V and fluctuates +/-.

I think the current entering the house is above the proper amount as I had several appliances fail and need repair: fridge, shower, and the boiler heating element.

I contacted the power company, EON, and mentioned this. Is there something they can do to lower the voltage coming into the house?

Thanks for everyone's answers...

By overhead supply, I mean the cable feeding your house from the outside. Does it come from a pole or wall-mounted cable, or is it underground?

What did EON say when you mentioned the voltage reading?

If it exceeds 253V, let them know and ask them to do something to reduce it. Tell about your appliance concerns.

You need to specifically tell the DNO (possibly UK Power Networks, was EDF), not your supplier that you are making a voltage complaint which will start the correct process

All
Thanks for everything. It is an overhead supply. I called EON who referred me to the supplier as you've pointed out. I've just called the power distributor Central Networks who is sending out someone today and I'll meet them shortly.

Will send update once I know more. Thanks!

Power company came out and measured 252 volts at the box in the house. They turned the transformer down two notches and lowered the voltage by about 10 volts. Now it measures 238-239 volts in the house. :idea:

The chap explained that the rural circuits were built to 240v and they ran them high at 250v which causes problems with EU standard appliances that run on 230v. :(

It seems like others have had this problem and the power company won't act unless you complain that the extra voltage is burning out components in your appliances. :!:

Thanks for everyone's help.
Greatly appreciate the assistance. Enjoy the New Year! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back