Faulty Shower.. solenoid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We currently have a Triton T70XR electric shower. In the last week the shower has become faulty. The shower will run fine for around a minute to where it then cuts off the water and stays off. The power light stays on and water will start flowing around a minute after.

When the water is flowing it's fine and heats up fine to when it suddenly stops. I have checked the solenoid resistance and it is reading 3.8k ohms which is the sign of a good one. Everything else looks fine.

I know I shouldn't have, but I checked the resistance when there was power to the unit, every time I put the test Leeds across the solenoid terminals the shower water started flowing, it stopped after some seconds to which I removed the test leads put them back on and it did the same thing making me think it is still something to do with this solenoid.

Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you do not have loose connection to the solenoid?

Not sure how you were measuring the coil resistance with power on it but are you certain that when you made the probe/crock clip connections that you did not simply disturb a bad connection?

Try measuring the coil resistance further along the connection wires (with power off) One connection will be a permanent neutral while the other will go to the main on/off switch. I don't know that particular shower but on some the solenoid is controlled by a delayed/auto-shutdown circuit.

Thats a sign of a failing solenoid coil.
you need to check it in it's failed state which can be a problem in your situation stop/start.
This shower don't have a phased shut down it's not pcb controlled.

Fit a new solenoid all will be ok.

I tested the solenoid when the power was off at the beginning and powered off after it stopped flowing water. The reading showed it as a good solenoid but it all points to this with the fault.

I don't think it is a lose connection as i had the test leads pretty much connecting them from the wire to the solenoid terminals. It was only when i removed the test leads and placed them back pushing the terminals it started up again for a few seconds, staying in the same position did nothing. It seems it is this, i think i'll just order one and hope it is, looks a right pain to change though as its not easy to just pull the coil off like on some showers and the whole solenoid will have to come out somehow.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it does sound like the solenoid. Probably heating up after being energized for a while then going O/C with a loose/high res connection on the inside of the moulding or sometimes the solenoid winding insulation can break down leading to overheating. The DC resistance when cool can often appear normal.

Might be worth using a multimeter to measure the current while running but ultimately the thing is going to completely fail anyway so changing it appears inevitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back