Power shower wanted but how can I acheive this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I would appreciate any advice you may give on this subject. I have a victorian house with a basement (where our 1 year old Vaillant turbomax combi boiler is positioned). The water mains into the house is of fair pressure (on boiler 1-2 bar output) but my mains is shared with neighbours....when they do their washing it's noted in my shower!. That is a problem but not my question. We are having a loft extension done with an en-suit shower and i am concerned I will end up with a drip and not a gush the shower head is a long way from the boiler (3 floors). I was looking into buying a smallish electric water tank where water is fed direct from the mains (avoiding the combi) and the water will be heated and pumped to the shower head, allowing a power shower. Am i asking to much. Have read many topics on this and other sites where the answer is "if you have a combi you cant have a power shower" i want to be able to explain exactly what iam after to a plumber without being disgraced!! much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Your option could be to install a large cold water cistern fed from the mains but with an isolation valve ramped down so as not to take too much flow from your mains when you use the water from the cistern.

You would have to make sure the volume of water in the tank never fell below a certain limit where the usage overtook the feed rate.
This could be maintained by either having a very large tank or controlling how many showers you take at any one time.

Good luck
Pete

That will be a cold shower then will it?

how are you heating the water, since you said "avoiding the combi"

a power shower works by pumping hot and cold water at the same time, both are fed from storage tanks, since you are not allowed to pump directly from mains water

the cold is obvious, since it pumps from a strorage tank to the shower, but where will you get YOUR hot water from? with a power shower it gets its hot water from a storage cylinder often called "the thing in the airing cupboard" but as you have a combi you have no cylinder (yet)

a thermostatic or pressure balanced mixer shower is whats needed. that or an electric one of course

Sponsored Links
I should have said an electric heated shower with internal pump for the outlet. No need for hot supply and the water can be a good pressure depending on model purchased.
Pete

Which one of cheap, small, perfect, are you prepared to compromise on!!

Have you looked at how much it would cost to get a decent mains supply? Might not be bad compared to losing space to water storage.
Then you could put an electric , cold feed only, shower at the top of the house.
There are units you could put in the basement to store water and pump up the whole house supply, eg
http://www.grundfos.com/web/homeUK.nsf/Webopslag/DMAR-6RZKWV

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back