power supply cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just been given a used "sony klv-15sr1" tv, unfortunatly it came without the power supply cord, i attempted to buy one from both amazon and ebay they were only available to buy from usa, and on two occasions they would not post to my address. my question is ... is there an equivalent power supply cord?
as its used and i have not seen it working i would like to aquire one as cheaply as pos. any ideas?
thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's just the power cord then it's an iec power cable.

If you haven't got the power brick then you need to tell us.

I assume you mean KLV-15SR1 not klv-15sr1. It's an American model, designed for use in America. It has an NTSC tuner - which won't receive anything the in the UK or Europe. It has RCA inputs but I don't think they'll be much use to you.

And, as Lucid wrote, you probably need the power supply unit with attached cord.

Goodness knows why anyone went to the trouble of bringing it to the UK.
I would recycle it.

Hi and thanks for replyingin reply yes its the KLV-15SR1, and yes i need the a/c adapter power cord everything all i have is the tv.
So from what your telling me even if i had a power supply it would not be receiving anything!!
No wonder he was glad to get rid of it.
seems a shame its a good size for the kitchen/bedroom.

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean KLV-15SR1 not klv-15sr1.
Am I missing something here? Apart from one being lower case and the other in capitals, what exactly is the significance?

It's an American model, designed for use in America. It has an NTSC tuner - which won't receive anything the in the UK or Europe. It has RCA inputs but I don't think they'll be much use to you.

I think that this was sold in both the US market (NTSC tuner) and the UK (PAL/SECAM tuner + SCART). There's a few references to the UK/European version of this set on the Sony.co.uk site, and Gumtree and also at least one UK retailer site

Stoneaudio.co.uk http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=sony+klv-15sr1+%28klv15sr1%29+lcd-tv

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KLV-15SR1

A quick way to check is to look for a SCART socket on the rear of the TV. That's the European model, for sure.

It's an American model, designed for use in America. It has an NTSC tuner - which won't receive anything the in the UK or Europe.
If the date on the user manual from the Sony UK web site is anything to go by then whether it has a UK or UK/European tuner makes no difference. They're all well before the change to digital (Freeview) so none of them are any use for TV reception.

The UK/European model can still be used with a Freeview or Freesat box, or hooked up to Sky or an equivalent pay-view receiver of course. If it is the American version then trying to do the same would be more hassle than it's worth.

Re: upper/lower case. Model numbers are usually typed in all upper case (with some notable exceptions). My brain doesn't easily recognise model numbers typed incorrectly so I stared at it for ages.

My computer can distinguish between upper/lower case so a search for the lower case version finds nothing unless I change the settings.

Apart from that, when I see upper case copied as lower case, it always gives the impression that the typist simply can't be bothered to press the shift key.

All of this combined makes me think twice about replying.

Hi thanks for replying, fistly its uppercase KLV-15SR1
there is a scart connection.
does this mean if i can get a power cord from somewhere the tv will be of some use?

If the OP had been written in text speak, then fair enough. But it wasn't. You also chose to reply; so it can't have been that bad.

;)

Hi thanks for replying, fistly its uppercase KLV-15SR1
there is a scart connection.
does this mean if i can get a power cord from somewhere the tv will be of some use?
Yes.

If you can find an AC adapter with the correct voltage and current specifications, and the correct size plug end for the TV, then the set will work fine. It might take some digging to find the specs. I can tell you from the Sony manual that the voltage is 16.5V.

Once again thanks for replying,
i started of this thread by asking a question,( i was aware that it would be difficult to obtain the power supply cord) is there an alternative plug perhaps a laptop or similar that would work with this model?

As long as the power plug fits at the TV end, and the power supply is the correct Voltage and at least or more Current capacity (the Amps rating) then there's every chance it will work, presuming of course that the TV itself is functional.

You know the Voltage (16.5V) from the manual. So make sure your replacement power brick runs at 16.5Volts, maybe 17V at a push.

The Current needs to be "at least" sufficient, but can be higher with no ill effect. The TV draws what it needs. The current rating of the power brick is sufficient to meet the TVs needs. If you spec one that's higher current then it won't affect the TV. That will draw as much as it needs. It just means you bought a bigger power supply with a larger current supplying capacity than the TV needs.

My computer can distinguish between upper/lower case so a search for the lower case version finds nothing unless I change the settings.

A Google search for both 'klv-15sr1' and 'KLV-15SR1' gives one exactly the same set of results.
I very much doubt that has anything to do with the computer that the search was requested from...

OK, to show whether upper/lower matters, what would you say about my download speed of 8 MBps ? Fast or slow compared with most copper wire connections?

OK, to show whether upper/lower matters, what would you say about my download speed of 8 MBps ? Fast or slow compared with most copper wire connections?

Stop finding excuses for having a dig at someone over contextually irrelevant capitalisation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back