Power supply for a security camera.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put this in the CCTV forum but it's probably better here.

I've bought a 12v security camera and it comes with a plug in power supply.
I could just plug it in to a socket but that would mean a rather ugly looking set up with the wire running from a socket under the carpet and floorboards, or possibly through a hole in a bedroom wall.
I'd rather wire it in under the floorboards, here's what I'm thinking.
Run a cable to a fused spur which then feeds a 12v transformer which will sit under the floorboards.
Then feed the output from the transformer through the wall.

So, am I breaking any rules by doing this?
Is there a better way?
I'd be glad to hear any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your camera came with a power supply. This provides 12volts but that will almost certainly be DC (direct current).
A 12volt transformer will provide 12volts but it will be AC (alternating current) as a true transformer has no rectification circuitry.
Show us a picture of the power supply snd thd transforner you are thinking of using.
A better solution would be to provide a socket in your loft (if you have one) and plug the power supply in there.

Here's the adaptor it came with.

1661706225635.jpeg

And here's what I'm thinking of.

1661705673889.png

I guess the real question is, can I install this under the floorboards?
Or is there a better way?

Installing anything under the floor is a poor choice as at some point it will need to be repaired / replaced.

That style of power supply is intended for use within equipment and must be installed inside a suitable enclosure. It cannot be used as supplied.

Sponsored Links
That’s a power supply, not a transformer. If you put it under the floorboards it will need to remain accessible. Will it be?

The supply terminals will need to be shrouded, how will you do that?

It will still need a fused mains supply. If you are having to lift the floorboards, you may as well just plug the original power supply into a socket and buy a long extension lead to connect to the camera.

OK, that's a good answer.
So, is there a style of power supply that would be suitable for under floorboards?
12v lighting circuits have power supply in the same space (between floorboards and ceiling)

Or maybe I'd be better off with a mains powered camera rather than a 12v one.

12v lighting circuits have power supply in the same space (between floorboards and ceiling)
They do. And those power supplies are not suitable for a camera as they are not usually DC supplies but very high frequency AC supplies.

They are accessible though through the downlight hole.

Incidentally I believe the power supply supplied does not conform to the regs as the pins are too close to the edge, or put it another way it is not wide enough. That leads us to a false CE mark, and thoughts as to how safe the rest of the kit is.

When you say under the floorboards, what else is under there?

Is this upstairs or downstairs?
If downstairs then under the floorboards can sometimes be/get damp and that could ruin the PSU.

I wouldn't be putting either of those items below my floorboards. When the magic smoke escapes you want to be able to see it happening before a fire starts.

Thank you gentlemen
So it seems clear that putting a power supply under the floorboards is the wrong idea.
Thank you all for your advice, it shows just how valuable these forums are.

Matty, I'm talking about upstairs under the floorboards, there are some copper heating pipes under there but not near the location I've picked.

So, I guess I could mount a box on the outside of the wall next to the camera to house a power supply?
Obviously that comes with its own aesthetic issue but if that's the right way then so be it.

Do you have any views on a different camera, either a 240v or perhaps a POE camera?
I'm thinking that may be a better way forward, although the POE camera comes with a cabling issue but that's not out of the question.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest a PoE camera but it doesn't really solve your initial problem of where out of the way to site the PSU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back