Power supply for modem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm getting BT superfast fibre broadband next week. The guy came yesterday but I don't have a power supply by the front door, and it wasn't practical to run the non bendy cable around two doorways and corners, so he went away.
I have several options to add a spur to a socket but they are all difficult to do, with floors to come up and some pretty convoluted routing of the cable.
Is it possible to take the power from the lighting circuit? There is a three gang switch by the front door, and the modem would probably be by the ceiling above it.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm getting BT superfast fibre broadband next week. The guy came yesterday but I don't have a power supply by the front door, and it wasn't practical to run the non bendy cable around two doorways and corners, so he went away.
I have several options to add a spur to a socket but they are all difficult to do, with floors to come up and some pretty convoluted routing of the cable.
Is it possible to take the power from the lighting circuit? There is a three gang switch by the front door, and the modem would probably be by the ceiling above it.
Thanks for any advice.
If you have neutral connexions at the switch [blue or black wires joined together in a connector] it may be feesible.

Turn the power off, unscrew the switch and take a photo for us.

'Winston 1' will come on here and say it's a bad idea but there are thousands in service just like this with no problems.

As long as you label the socket up that it will be plugged into I personally think it would be fine.

You can take the power from the ceiling rose.

It may be easier to route the cables if you can take up a board in the floor above.

My broadband cable goes up through the ceiling and the router is upstairs.

Sponsored Links
Either you need to run cable to the modem or from the modem and the BT cable is far neater than both LAN and power cables so better to have modem where it will be used.

Thanks all, very useful. But now I realise I'm confused. I don't even know if I'm getting a hub or a modem or both - I've got a box on the wall outside the front door that has a fibre cable coming into it from the telegraph pole.
I assumed that whatever they're fitting would give me wireless broadband although I currently use a LAN cable from my PC to my BT Hub4 as my PC doesn't have a built in wireless adapter.

I think I'll figure out my various wiring options before they come back, then use a temporary extension lead for the power supply when they do, and then work out the best way to connect it permanently.

In the meantime I have discovered some other little diy job that needs some attention....
Sinking bath.jpg

Thanks all, very useful. But now I realise I'm confused. I don't even know if I'm getting a hub or a modem or both - I've got a box on the wall outside the front door that has a fibre cable coming into it from the telegraph pole.

yes, wait until you know what you really need first!

BTW. I have never seen fibre run as as overhead service. But I am ready to be corrected on that point.

BTW. I have never seen fibre run as as overhead service.

It is, over long distances. one company I worked for had to replace it with armoured sheathed bundles in game-shooting districts.

However unless things have moved on, the cable is only run to the green street-cabinet, not into each house. The box outside* your house contains copper.

*in my case, I managed to get it run underground into the garage, poked up through the concrete floor, for added security.

Should have been more specific. I know it can be overhead in trunk routes. But didn’t realise they did single fibre right to a customer via “telegraph” poles.
However unless things have moved on, the cable is only run to the green street-cabinet, not into each house.

and that’s what they con the customers into thinking they have fibre broadband.
they still have last century ADSL service over last century copper.

proper fibre broadband (like mine) is fibre right to inside the subscriber’s house.

mine is only to the green cabinet :(

I get 100 Mbps :)

Should have been more specific. I know it can be overhead in trunk routes. But didn’t realise they did single fibre right to a customer via “telegraph” poles.
If you look at those links I linked to, a good few take overhead fibre 'right too a customer'. The first one that one comes to (albeit not UK) can be seen here , with a description here.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back