power to diy air-con

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,all,
ive been looking at a diy air con website-
the unit that appears to do the right duty for my requirement pulls more than 13 amps.
is a spur ok if i got one under 13 amps?
and if i go over 13 amps-does this mean that i have to run a cable to the consumer unit-and as it is in my shop,can i do this myself,or are there regs that say i need 16th edition or something like that to install it?
final query-just out of curiosity-can a diyer fit a 3 phase appliance-is it complicated,or are there regs which stop me doing this??
in advance-thanks to all who reply... :oops:

Sponsored Links
your first question seems to disagree with the statement.
the unit that appears to do the right duty for my requirement pulls more than 13 amps.

2nd & 3rd parts
you would have to run a suitable sized cable, but as its 3 phase you would need to know what you are doing, so the answer is get an electrician.
Not to mention insurance liability for you working on 3 phase

assuming your shop has a 3phase supply

puzzbahh said:
hello,all,
ive been looking at a diy air con website-
Yes. Or a dedicated radial from the CU with the appropriate cable and protective device if it's more than 13A.

and if i go over 13 amps-does this mean that i have to run a cable to the consumer unit-and as it is in my shop,can i do this myself,or are there regs that say i need 16th edition or something like that to install it?
When you say "your shop" do you mean a retail establishment that you own or rent, and to which members of the public are admitted, or are you a refugee from the great playgroup-across-the-sea referring to your DIY shed/garage workshop?

If the former, then before you do anything, check with the terms under which you occupy the premises, your buildings/contents cover, your PLI etc - you may well find that you are not allowed to DIY. Possibly the Electricity at Work regs too - I don't know if they apply wo people who work on electrical stuff as part of their job, or whether they apply to any installations in any workplace.

If the latter then you may DIY if you wish, but you still need to do it in accordance with the wiring regulations.

final query-just out of curiosity-can a diyer fit a 3 phase appliance-is it complicated,or are there regs which stop me doing this??
in advance-thanks to all who reply... :oops:
I don't believe there are any regs, but there ought to be common sense stopping you. 3 phase circuits are a lot more complicated, and not the sort of thing that a DIY-er should be fiddling with.

Since you hint that you might be able to get an aircon that draws 13A, doesn't that mean that the one you were looking at is pretty close to that anyway? If what you need is in the 3-5kW space, say, why 3-phase?

PS - I will need to put aircon into my home office - what's the website?

Thanks,for all your swift replies,but i think my multiple questions got some of you a bit confused..

my questions regarding a 3 phase supply,and 13 amp spur,were out of curiosity-rather than killing the cat,i thought i would ask the experts!!!

as to ban-all-sheds-i would reply to you personally,but when i try to click on your name,where you replied,no profile came up,so couldnt find your email-so here goes;
for diy air-con from £299 plus vat and extras from here also under global cooling,i think.
but i have been looking on air-con websites-they say the flexible tubing used leaks like b*gg*ry-the gas is small molecules,and vibration allows it through jointslike a cars,plus the pipe can rapidly wear if rubbing against something-still worth a look though,but you might be better off paying for a guy to come and fit with copper pipe-there is a company does good deals for elctrical,plumbing contractors,etc, acs in bradford-01274 618687-they are importers-they might do you supply only and advise on someone near to you who installs.
regards
puzzbahh

Sponsored Links
Puzzpa, you stated that you will be putting this unit in your shop..I'm afraid to say that will be Illegal as it is a commercial premises with defacto public access.

All work must be carried out by qualified personel as you are required to have test certificates for all electrical and air-con work in commercial premises.

I am not saying your not competent, although electrically your struggling by the sound of things, however if anything goes wrong in a commercial premises your rear will be in a sling.

You must remmeber that in such a location the HSE have jurisdiction and so does the Electricity at Work Regulations Act, both require all electrical work to be carried out by "competent persons who have achieved a recognised level of professional training", and you certainly do not have the knowledge or training to mess with 3 phase kit.

I would consider your position very carefully, the final decision is yours, but I would think about this long and hard.

thanks fwl- im not planning any 3 phase work-i was simply curious as to whether a person without certification could work on it-for future reference-obviously not-so i wont be touching any!

as for premises-sorry,i should have said workshop/study in a new-build,not commercial premises-these yankee slang phrases get everywhere.
thanks
puzzbahh

Puzzpah, I have looked at the information the website you spoke about.

A solution to your problem is relatively simple.

If the loading of the unit you buy is in excess of 13A, then install a radial circuit, using 4mm twin and earth, from the dictribution board to a 20A rotary isolator adjacent to the location of the Aircon unit (it must be adjacent to it, whether the unit is internal or external). In the consumer unit install a 20A Type B MCB. Do not be tempted to fit an RCBO or RCD as the compressor motor will cause nuisance tripping. RCBO's of the 20A size are always 30mA which is too low I'm afraid. If you could loacet a 100mA one then you could install that as it should not suffer nuisance tripping caused by the compressor being turned on and off.

If the unit is to be installed externally, which I assume it will be :) then you should supply the power to it using SWA not T&E.

thanks fwl-this is the info i was looking for.
some units require indoor power supply-others to outdoor unit.
what is SWA?
thanks
ps-curiousity killing the cat again-i thought 3 phase was three live or phases,with a neutral,with a 3 phase appliance,you simply put each phase where it is marked on the appliance...
not that im going to do any,but was that explanation given to me incorrect?

Puzzpah, SWA is an acronym for Steel Wire Armour. This is the type of cable you find buried in the ground and run externally to buildings. It is also used in many other applications not relevent here.

Three phase is, in essense either 3 wire (TP) or 4 wire (TP+N) ( 3 Phase only or 3 Phase and Neutral)

If the equipment is purely 3 phase, then it may not need a neutral as it will operate happily between phases, however most modern equipment has controls etc that do require a neutral connection.

Whilst it may sound that 3 phase is simple, don't be fooled. A phase/neutral fault will be like one in your home, a phase to phase fault will kill and blow panels clean off walls if there is sufficient energy there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back