kitchen make over and the new regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am a usefull diyer but somewhat confused re the new wiring regs. i am in the process of refitting a kitchen with wrap around units with free standing appliances - cooker , washer, dishwasher and dryer under the units.
the cooker has its on supply with the switch and a combined socket about 18" above the rings. is this now allowed or should I move it to one side?
the other appliances at present are used by plugging into 13 amp sockets. do they now have to have an unswitched socket behind them out of sight but controlled with a fused spur above the worksurface. I have enough sockets to run one spur from each.
can i do this myself or is it taboo - different opinions. dont mind having to get it checked once done.
finally, ive got some replastering to do. would a lecky need to see it all plastered up to give me a certificate? would be much easier to deal with any issues whilst the cables are accessible.
thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
i am a usefull diyer but somewhat confused re the new wiring regs.
Do you mean BS7671:2008?

the cooker has its on supply with the switch and a combined socket about 18" above the rings. is this now allowed or should I move it to one side?
You should move it to the side, so that it's at least 300mm away from the edge of the hob.

the other appliances at present are used by plugging into 13 amp sockets. do they now have to have an unswitched socket behind them out of sight but controlled with a fused spur above the worksurface. I have enough sockets to run one spur from each.
They don't have to, but you can if you want.

can i do this myself or is it taboo - different opinions.
It's not taboo, just notifiable, and there really shouldn't be different opinions about that. See the articles here.

dont mind having to get it checked once done.
It needs to be checked while it's being done as well.

finally, ive got some replastering to do. would a lecky need to see it all plastered up to give me a certificate? would be much easier to deal with any issues whilst the cables are accessible.
thanks a lot.
There's more to it than that. Basically an electrician can't certify Building Regulations compliance for work that he hasn't done. If you work closely with one, and do exactly what he says you might get an EIC from him (i.e. a certificate of compliance with BS7671), but that won't help you with Building Regulations compliance unless you've agreed it in advance with your LABC. Who you have to notify in advance if you're doing the work.

thanks for very prompt reply - did not expect it so quick.
can understand need for regs - come from family of tradesmen - all retired now and miles away - learned a lot as a kid and helped out. always dreamt of building own home, now I am able (mentally anyway) door closes. reluctant to call in tradespeople, not cos ive got deep pockets and short arms - but i want to do it myself and achieve something in life. make sense?

anyway thanks for tip. not sure my wife will be happy with cooker switch move. does it make a difference if its just the cooker on / off switch - without the plug socket?? please say 'yes'.

will probably call in a sparks, at least to advise and take professional guidance. got the same issue with gas boiler and plumbing, but thats another day another expert.

have one on me. td

its not ideal being above the rings. but then again there is no
reg to say that it has to be 300mm from the hob

Sponsored Links
@ President Nixon:

(reason is that if you had a chip pan fire, gushing over the cooker, you would have to reach through the flames to turn the power off)

(A cooker switch without a socket is prefeable. Socket circuits should be protected by an RCD, but cookers tend to cause nuisance tripping as they age)

Reason is what about boiling an egg and it boils over onto a switch protected at 30-32 amps non rcd protected? steam from the sauce pan entering a switch day in day out not gonna do the contacts much cop, just not good practice in my opinion.

reluctant to call in tradespeople, not cos ive got deep pockets and short arms - but i want to do it myself and achieve something in life. make sense?
Absolutely.

And provided you really are competent to do it (there's probably more involved than you realise) you are allowed to - it's just that some things (not just electrics) have to be notified to the council.

anyway thanks for tip. not sure my wife will be happy with cooker switch move.
What - even as part of a makeover?

does it make a difference if its just the cooker on / off switch - without the plug socket??
No.

please say 'yes'.
:confused:

thank you all for your tips

looks like I will be calling sparks - & others

begrudge paying fee that i could spend on the improvement itself.

should be a free service - not one to put you off - especially when safety is at the forefront of it.

maybe illl start charging fees for all the help and advice I give people in what I do!! I'd be a millionaire in year.

signing off and thanks again. td

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back