Power To Garden Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this question is in the correct section.
I am going to run a 1.5mm 3 core flex from my garage to a timber shed in 20mm plastic conduit distance approx 2ft.
My query is should I take the conduit into the shed via a 22mm hole or stop conduit at shed outer surface and pass flex through a smaller hole, I will seal gap in both cases with mastic.
This is to allow for expansion/contraction of timber due to ambient weather conditions.
The garage supply is rcd protected.

Sponsored Links
Can you mount a weatherproof junction box on the outside? You'll need a fused spur at the house end if this is coming off the ring.

What are you proposing to run off the supply once you have it in the shed and are you fitting any sockets/lights?

Thanks for your reply's, what I am unsure about was the possible movement of the timber due to temperature changes etc of the timber.
I am not sure if a firm mechanical fixing was ok.
I am to use the supply for a florescent light and a single socket to power hedge cutters.

Sponsored Links
there should be a overload protection at the garage end -rated at less than the cable.

1.5mm is very small for a supply cable. flex is not really suitable for a fixed install

.... flex is not really suitable for a fixed install
It seems fashionable to say that, but can you provide any real 'explanation'? For some purposes, particularly outdoors, rubber-sheathed flex would seem preferable to PVC T+E.

Kind Regards, John

Weatherproof external flex is preferable to internal T&E. You could just stick a plug on the end. And put a external socket on the outside wall of the house.

Why is no-one shouting, "No! Use SWA!" at the OP? It's clearly not a must? I'm currently constructing a grill area and asked a Q about taking a feed from the SWA to my shed (Thank you TTC for replying). I have an outside socket, would I be wrong to run weatherproof flex in a conduit to the grill area instead?

Thanks

CG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back