power to outbuilding

If you've got a scrap of armoured anywhere have a go at it with a spade and see how difficult it is to actually damage the cable.

You might damage the plastic sheath, but you'll have a job on actually getting through it.

Sponsored Links
If you've got a scrap of armoured anywhere have a go at it with a spade and see how difficult it is to actually damage the cable. You might damage the plastic sheath, but you'll have a job on actually getting through it.
Indeed, I've tried it in past - which is why I was questioning EFLIs view that armour does not provide useful mechanical protection. However, I suppose that in one sense what he said was correct. Whilst it is difficult 'getting through' SWA with a spade, any spade strike is pretty likely the damage the outer plastic sheath. Once that happens, the risk of corrosive damage/destruction of the armour arises (assuming it is buried) - so, in practice, one would probably usually have to replace some or all of the cable.

Kind Regards, John

If the sheath gets damaged just fit a resin joint over the cable which nicely seals the damage and prevents corrosion of the steel. This should be done regardless of whether you are relying on the armour to provide your earth.

If the sheath gets damaged just fit a resin joint over the cable which nicely seals the damage and prevents corrosion of the steel. This should be done regardless of whether you are relying on the armour to provide your earth.
If the sheath has been penetrated (and the armour probably at least 'dented') by a substantial spade strike, how could you be sure that the cores (or insulation thereof) had not been damaged?

A few of years ago, I saw a situation in which a piece of surface mounted T+E was accidentally hit, quite hard (not by me!), with a club hammer (that, ironically, was being used to create a chase to bury the cable!). Examination of the cable (which looked fine externally, maybe a little 'flatter' than normal!) revealed that the impact had caused one or both of L & N conductors (can't remember for certain) to 'cut' its/their way right through the insulation, so that there was bare copper staring me in the face. No amount of testing would have detected that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back