Power To Outbuilding

Sponsored Links
I am thinking that the new supply is the best bet, as there is no gas to the area. I'm going off, though, to look at the possibility of using the house's LPG supply to fire an LPG heated system in it and just leave the 'lec to run the sockets and lights. Luckily, drainage is not toooo much of a problem as tapping into the pipe to the septic tank won't be too arduous and I have sufficient fall to keep it all flowing.

Whatever, I do feel that the full monty shower option run from the house supply is close to dead in the water :cry:

Maybe I should stick to gardening....anyone know how to install a full 25kVa undersoil heating system??? :evil:

Sponsored Links
The saga goes on, as does the cost!!

crafty1289 said:
T
You'd need to split the meter tails and fit a 63A switchfuse at the house.

Does that mean an old style single way fused switch CU (presumably metal to take the SWA glands) or a modern style RCD type switched unit? (The house has a power shower with the hot water supplied from the house oil fired Hot Water system, so the total house load looks like it's going to be OK.) The idea of a separate hot water geyser for the sink has been dropped so I'm looking at just a shower, lights and 3 sockets.

rightsaidfred said:
Does that mean an old style single way fused switch CU (presumably metal to take the SWA glands) or a modern style RCD type switched unit?
Neither.

It means a switchfuse, which is a switch, and a fuse (or MCB). The switch is for isolation, and the fuse is to protect the cable. It has no RCD protection - you want that local in the outbuilding. Meter tails go into the switchfuse, SWA comes out, and if you get a large enough metal one you'll have no problem in terminating the SWA in it. SWA then runs to the outbuilding CU (split load advised, or RCBOs used, as you don't want the lights on RCD).

A couple of clickable examples:

Thanks Ban-all-sheds (or may I just call you "Ban"). That's pretty much established the feasibility of the lot (and, no surprise, the power looks like it'll be about the most expensive item!) All I have to do is get a decent quote.
TTFN

I have started something very similar to the project you have outlined in the initial post Fred.. ( I assume its okay to call you Fred for short?)
I am facing a few of the same issues. But had the following thoughts:

Shower - take a full combi direct heated cylinder ( my building has a loft space) - that way avoids the 9Kw issue. Also supplies all sinks etc

Main consumers will be all less than 13A rating - I plan for approx 8 socket outlets and four light fittings. So shouldbe oaky with one ring main and light circuit.

I do have an existing network of cabling which needs upgrade ( the main run of SWA approx 30-40m long) - but I reckon on limiting my cable size to cope with a max 30-40amps..

How did you get on with your project - did you get it connected to the house or go for a seperate supply connection? - if the latter what did it cost?

I am planning a full ensuite and separate kitchen area and all plumbing reqd.. Waste wise similar to your situation - a new waste stack and run to an existing sceptic tank (a 'well' actually)

The building is existing and has power light etc already - I plan to use it for family and occassional guests - its away from the main house (~30m) so isn't counted as part of it... Did you need any buidling approvals or PPermissionsa after all..

I would appreciate any pointers /info from your project experience - I am going to DIY all of it ....

I got a local electrician in, recommended via a builder I had used a couple of times. We managed to feed the SWA through a boxed in void that already existed in the house, I dug the trench (40m at 600mm deep -never again) and laid the SWA iaw his instructions leaving the trench open. He came in gave me some warning tape which was placed about 300 below ground and I covered up and made good. He put in a small metal enclosure with a main switch and 63A fuse next to my main consumer unit with tails into a large brown connector box that was already between the meter and the consumer unit (I think that's called a sub-main?) and connected the SWA into that. In the outhouse he fitted a 7.5kW shower (he persuaded me that it was a better idea for the occasional use it is intended to have) a lighting circuit and a socket power circuit. The small consumer unit has an RCD which covers the lights and shower, and a 20Amp RCBO for the sockets (so that if a socket trips the lights still work and if the lights go a standard lamp still works so you're not left in total darkness that far from the house - his idea).

Total cost was around the £1100.00 mark (he charged just over £900 for the parts and labour not including the shower and light fittings I wanted).

The house had only a cooker, a tumble drier and a washing machine that use electricity apart from the normal sockets and lights heating and water are oil fired. The whole system works brilliantly and I'm delighted with the results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back