Power to Shed - From Greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping you can help. I finally erected a small shed next to my green house yesterday. The greenhouse has an electrician-installed shielded cable down our concrete fence, from our house which is directly connected to an RCD.

The greenhouse has a double socket, and I was thinking of just using a weatherproof extension cable or some 2.5mm cable with a 13 plug in the conservatory one end and a double socket the other installed in the shed.

Here are my questions:
1) Would you recommend an RCD plug or because the greenhouse electric is already on an RCD, we're good?
2) We're talking 2-3 metres max from the greenhouse to the shed and I'll be going above ground over the top. Recommend anything specific?
3) Whilst I can get an RCD plug, and the 2.5mm wiring to ensure weatherproofing, I'm worried that any double socket I get will have multiple poles and then I'd have to have run 2 wires.

As you can tell, I'm not an electrician, but my gut tells me something like this (if it were slightly longer) would be good.

https://amzn.to/3kwl7Ie

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1.You don’t need an RCD plug, the circuit is already protected.
2. Ideally use SWA cable.
3. Not sure what you mean. That Amazon cable is not suitable as it has an RCD plug.

1.You don’t need an RCD plug, the circuit is already protected.
2. Ideally use SWA cable.
3. Not sure what you mean. That Amazon cable is not suitable as it has an RCD plug.

Hi winston,

Thanks for coming back to me. What cable do you suggest? Can said cable just be terminated at a 13a plug, and plumbed into a double wall socket without issue?

Armoured SWA cable is the correct cable to use. It cannot be fitted to a plug. It has to be glanded into the sockets at both ends.

Sponsored Links
Armoured SWA cable is the correct cable to use. It cannot be fitted to a plug. It has to be glanded into the sockets at both ends.

Thanks again winston

Okay, then I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to bring power into the shed myself. I honestly didn't think it would be that difficult.

I'm not an electrician.
If the cable is above ground, why would it need to be armoured? I'm assuming the OP would securely clip it to the greenhouse/shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back