RCD and electrical regulations.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently installed a greenhouse, and in order to warm it during frosty spells we were looking to buy some sort of electric heater. There is no electric socket in the greenhouse, but we had the idea of running an extension cable from a neighbouring underground garage socket (at least 10 m long). On the short distance between the garage wall and the greenhouse the cable would be protected by a conduit.

On consultation with an electrician he told us that this was against electrical regulations as the greenhouse would get damp or wet from watering of plants. However plenty of greenhouse users have electric heating within and have done for very many years. Furthermore surely the use of a portable RCD plugged into the extension socket with a heating appliance plugged into it would accord with British electrical regulations. Or has it now become unlawful to use electric heaters in greenhouses?

Sponsored Links
What exactly does he think is against the regulations?

Some people have heated swimming pools. They're quite damp.

We seem to be seeing an increasing number of people coming here reporting utterly bonkers things said by electricians.

What's going on out there?

Maybe he meant that some lash up with an extension lead and bits of conduit is not allowed, which I'd have to agree with.

Sponsored Links
Maybe he meant that some lash up with an extension lead and bits of conduit is not allowed, which I'd have to agree with.

:oops:

getmecoat.gif

What he seemed to object to was that we were unable to mount an electric socket on the walls of the greenhouse being polycarbonate sheets contained within aluminium framing. It's not really practical hence the idea of using an extension cable plugged into a nearby garage socket. But the point is we don't want to water in the greenhouse as damp air causes condensation problems and encourages fungal diseases. All plant watering would be done outside of the greenhouse anyway.

What he seemed to object to was that we were unable to mount an electric socket on the walls of the greenhouse being polycarbonate sheets contained within aluminium framing.
He clearly has no imagination! It's too dark for me to be able to even find my greenhouse now, let alone take photographs (I'll try to remember tomorrow), but in my (aluminium frame plus glass) greenhouse I have a socket (and other electrical accessories) mounted (bolted) onto two horizontal aluminium bars which themselves are attached between two of the aluminium uprights of the greenhouse frame.

Kind Regards, John

A properly installed weatherproof socket in a green house is fine.

Earthing and bonding is a very important consideration though, and I would almost certainly want to see the greenhouse TT'd

What he seemed to object to was that we were unable to mount an electric socket on the walls of the greenhouse being polycarbonate sheets contained within aluminium framing.
He clearly has no imagination! It's too dark for me to be able to even find my greenhouse now, let alone take photographs (I'll try to remember tomorrow), but in my (aluminium frame plus glass) greenhouse I have a socket (and other electrical accessories) mounted (bolted) onto two horizontal aluminium bars which themselves are attached between two of the aluminium uprights of the greenhouse frame.
A little late, but .....

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back