Power to Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to run power to a shed at the bottom of the garden. Whilst there are a few posts on the subject here I wanted to ask what is the BEST way to do this? This wil be signed off by the council when complete!

I have a spare fuseway in the main consumer unit. Should I add a MCB or an RCBO and an RCD consumer unit in the Shed.

If RCBO in the house the earth is not connected in the shed, correct? other than the earther SWA sheath to the metalclad CU?

Any help appreciated 700mm trenches will be dug tomorrow and due to length having to use 10mm SWA 3 core that we already have.

TIA

Sponsored Links
32A MCB in your house CU
10mm SWA out to your shed, using the third core AND the armour as earth
small CU in shed, with a 6A MCB for lights, and a 20A RCBO for a radial socket circuit
Job's a good 'un!
(This assumes you won't be running any huge heavy-duty welding equipment or suchlike!)

Kudos to you for wanting to do the job properly.

(Even if you are on a TNC-S supply, the 10mm core in the earth allows you to export the equipotential zone if required)

This wil be signed off by the council when complete!
I take it that given all the stories you'll have read here about miscreant LABCs that you are sure they are happy to I&T themselves, and issue you a completion notice, and that they won't demand that you pay or arrange your own inspection and testing?

Have you discussed with them whether they want to inspect before you backfill the trench?

I wanted to ask what is the BEST way to do this?
I have a spare fuseway in the main consumer unit. Should I add a MCB or an RCBO and an RCD consumer unit in the Shed.
Neither, IMO.

Split the tails via Henley blocks, take one set to your existing CU, the other through a switchfuse to the SWA, CU at shed end to have RCBOs.

If RCBO in the house the earth is not connected in the shed, correct? other than the earther SWA sheath to the metalclad CU?
So where would you propose to get your earth from for the shed circuits?

due to length having to use 10mm SWA 3 core that we already have.
How long?

What's your design load?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

BAS - The Council has confirmed and the Council electrician has already been to sign off internal first fix (and did so).

Supply is TP&N so would rather take from one of the phases as designed from the TP&N board.

Re the earth I dont want to feed from an RCBO from the Board and have an RCBO in the shed and cause nuisance tripping therefore earth for the shed would be rod. Otherwise I though MCB in house and RCBO in SHed.

Design load is 28Amps so LoveRoackets idea looks perfect.

Will be leaving a section of trench open for inspection as required by LABC.

Thanks again

Ban All Sheds

Talking of inspection whilst Part P etc not detailed on the laying oo the cables what is recommended for lining the trench we were going to do 20mm sand - cable - 50mm sand then soil even though no sharp stones and at 6-700mm its all clay!

Is this required, if not what is?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back