Power to Sheds - Again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just done a site survey for a customer who wants power to their shed (how many times have we heard that one?) Their house was rewired a couple of years back with a new split load cu installed. The firm of contractors left a 13Amp FSU on the bedroom wall at the back wired into the 32A RCD protected ring -
"To allow a cable to be run through the wall to the shed"
The requirement is for 1 x 13A DG socket and a fused spur to a light fitting.

Now, I've done sheds and the like before, but this is a new one on me. I would normally tell the customer that an MCB protected SWA from the CU is the way to go - but this arrangement does seem to meet the regs. What do the rest of you guys think?

Also, there's no way to bury the SWA without major concrete work, its 25m house to shed with nothing to support a catenary wire and only a wooden posted fence running up the boundary that is right next to the house wall and the shed. Catenary along the fence??

What would you other more experienced sparks do?

Sponsored Links
nothing to support a catenary? how so? they have 2 buildings with a gap between them . . . :rolleyes:

and i'm sure most guys on here get the apprentice or the householder to dig the hole.

alternatively, hire a mole. :cool:

Sponsored Links
I know it sounds daft!

The shed, whilst being quite substantial, has a pent roof that gives me only 2.25m at the high point and the bungalow roof pitches in all directions, so I can't make the 3m required by table 4B of the OSG without erecting poles (if that is politically correct!). That was what I was trying to avoid.

What of the fused spur idea, tho?

it is normal to have to put a pole on the shed, but i can appreciate a pole on a bungalow might look a little industrial.

the fused spur is a perfectly valid idea. Many sheds are done this way.

Thanks for that. It's more or less what I was thinking - your view is much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back